Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin identification Help  (Read 819 times)

dsmuggler

Coin identification Help
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
Hi,

Firstly let me start by saying hello to everyone and to admit that I know absolutely nothing about ancient coins!
The reason why I am posting is due a recent family bereavement and being left these coins which I would like help in Identifying.
I am attaching a image and if anyone could help or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Regards.

D

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Coin identification Help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
Sorry, but it looks like a poorly executed forgery of a silver coin from Athens.  What size is it?

dsmuggler

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »
I have took a photo of all 4. If they are fakes what is the coin are they fakes off, would also be interested to know whose face it is?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:01:14 am »
The face is supposed to be Athena.  Notice how all the coins are essentially identical?  That doesn't occur with authentic ancient coins.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
But the poor modern style is the most obvious give-away. This is not a copy of a genuine ancient coin, but a modern fabrication, modeled after a tetradrachm from Athens.
Andreas Reich

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 03:25:27 am »
They barely  feel like metal

All coins are guaranteed for eternity