Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Moneyer ID for Augustus as  (Read 378 times)

E Pinniger

Moneyer ID for Augustus as
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
Haven't posted a coin for ID in a long while, this is one of two Augustus/Octavian "moneyer's series" coins I acquired recently, one (reverse in much better condition) was easy to identify (M Salvius Otho) but this one has defeated me so far! The coin is better looking than the photos show it, I really should have taken them in better lighting conditions but the rev. legend (what remains of it!) is clear enough.

The coin is about 27mm in diameter. The reverse is heavily encrusted (the encrustation is very hard and I'm not sure of any way to remove it without ruining the patina!) and not much of the legend is visible. Along with "I VIR A" at about 5-6 o'clock, "IVS" is visible at about 1 o'clock, preceded by what could be a N or V and followed by either an O, C or G.
There are several moneyers whose names could fit with this legend, but none of the coins I've seen have a letter placement which matches my coin. The most likely one seems to be M SALVIVS OTHO, the same as the other coin I bought - but all coins of this moneyer I can find online and in print have the "OTHO" at around 4-5 o'clock (near the lower half of the central "C"), whilst mine is around 2 o'clock.

E Pinniger

Re: Moneyer ID for Augustus as
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:07:06 am »
Here's a somewhat better photo:

Not exactly the prettiest example of these coins but I'm curious as to the correct attribution - the legend alignment
doesn't match any of the others I've seen.

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
Re: Moneyer ID for Augustus as
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »
I vote for M SALVIVS OTHO. I's day that Quintillianus doesn't fit between IVS and III VIR.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity