Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KP ligate on a coin of Sept. Sev. at Marcianopolis  (Read 1417 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
KP ligate on a coin of Sept. Sev. at Marcianopolis
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:41:24 am »
An unusual combination of letters, since the P has to face backwards.

I found no such ligature recorded in AMNG on any coin of Marcianopolis up to Macrinus.

This coin is from the same obv. die as H-G, p. 30, last two coins, which have the same rev. type but from a different die without ligature.
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: KP ligate on a coin of Sept. Sev. at Marcianopolis
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:26 am »
What a fine Septimius one.  I have only the Geta Dionysos, four of them, from two reverse dies.  I never have seen a rho grafted onto the upright of the kappa.  It is regularly a bow on the righthand side of the alpha.  But the guys who made the Dionysos reverse dies may not have been of the most literate.  One of the Geta dies blatantly omits the rho altogether.  As I say, I have two of them, and it seems NOT simply to be a clogged letter.  The other two have the die pair with the etnnic fully spelled out.  Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:10:57 am »
Hi!

Reading your thread I remember the same type of Severus fom Markianopolis with the ligate RK with the reversed R which I have recently acquired. It is like AMNG I/1, 556 but differs by the legend breaks and the ligate RK. On my coin the K looks more like the C of Latin MARCIANOPOLIS! Therefore in the first moment I suggested an error of the die cutter because the reversed R is very narrow too. The obv. seems to be a die match which Curtis' coin.

Best regards

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
Jochen,

that's the same coin as the one posted by Curtis - just a different picture.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »
Yes, I see! That's funny!

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »
Very funny: the seller sent this coin to me, and I didn't realize it wasn't the one I had bought! 

It is Jochen's, and should be getting to him eventually: the seller instructed me to send the coin back to him rather than directly to Jochen.

My proper coin is also Septimius at Nicopolis under Gallus with Dionysos, but with different portrait style and interesting for a different aspect of the rev. legend!  I think it too will be worth showing on Forvm once it arrives.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55:32 am »
Today I got the coin and now I have it in hand. Looking at the ligate PK with the retrograde P I think the die cutter has forgotten to cut the P making it MAKIANOPOLIS in error and then - mentioning his mistake - cut the half-circle of the P retrograde as a ligature with the K. This part of the P seems to be of a different style - thicker as usual- and the space to the A is very short. So the ligate P looks like it was cut afterwards.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity