Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3 Christ coins  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
  • I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
3 Christ coins
« on: December 24, 2004, 07:03:19 pm »
I would like some information on these 3 coins please. I believe they are Byzantine. All 3 appear to show Christ on the obverse. #1 has Him with a nimbus, as does #3, although the nimbus appears to be double-struck. #2 is bare-headed. There is straight writing on #1 and #3 reverses, but again it looks like #3 was double-struck. #2 has a "T" symbol, with a ball at the end of each section of the "T", breaking the coin into 3 quadrants. Each quad has a different symbol.

Any info as to ruler, date, etc.. is appreciated!
HAM & EGGS-a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.  
The only difference between a rut & a grave is the depth

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re:3 Christ coins
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 07:53:25 pm »
I believe these are Anonymous Follis.

Number 1 and 3 are either Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 or A3 depending on their weight.
Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 is around 15 grams with wieghts up to 20 grams.
Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A3 is around 9 to 10 grams
Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 (Sear 1813) is attributed to the joint reigh of Basil II and Constantine VIII.
Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A3 (Sear 1818) is attributed to the sole reign of Constantine VIII and also to the last years of Basil II.

Number 2 appears to be a class B Follis.  This is attibuted to Romanus III (Sear 1823).  These are commonly overstruck on Class A Folles' target='_blank'>class A2 coins.  The inscription on the cross side should be IS -XS above the limbs and beneath the limbs bAS - ILE / bAS - ILE (Christ King of Kings).

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re:3 Christ coins
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 03:13:15 am »
The third coin should be an A3 as it is overstruck on an earlier follis, and the class A folles are very light 7-9g.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity