Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiberius denarius genuin or fake?  (Read 633 times)

Luca F

Tiberius denarius genuin or fake?
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »
Hi all

Recently bought a Tiberius denarius and although I'm pretty certain its genuine I would just like to see what others think. I would also be grateful (if the coin is genuine) where and roughly when it was minted.

Thanks,Luca

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Tiberius denarius genuin or fake?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:07:43 pm »
What did the person who sold this to you say about it?

Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:44:01 pm »
We need to know the weight. However, just from the photo, it seems authentic to me. Let's see what others say.
It seems to have been overstruck on another coin.
As to details, see:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2529428
PeteB

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:40:01 am »
Hi,

seems fine to me as well. Portrait seems to belong to early type - group I or II (according to Giard's work on Tiberius portraits for Lugdunum) -.
Best
Pierre

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:40 am »
The coin is probably OK, but it really is impossible to authenticate a coin like that from a photo. Some cast denarii are very difficult to detect in hand and impossible to detect in photograph.

By the way, we do not discuss coins here is coins we are pretty sure are genuine. Imagine if everyone posted all the coins they think are genuine but just are not sure. There would be so many posts that we would never discuss the more interesting actually suspected coins.  Only post coins you think are probably fake here, not coins you think are probably genuine.  That is one of our many rules. 

Also, if you have to ask about a coin you just bought, you should not have purchased it. Before you buy a coin, either: 1) know the coin is genuine, or 2) know the seller has expertise and a guarantee. In short, know the coin or know the dealer.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity