Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with my first ancient coin!  (Read 519 times)

Slvr

Help with my first ancient coin!
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:03:11 am »
Hi. I am fairly new to coin collecting and recently had an opportunity to purchase
My first ancient coin. 
I am having a hard time with identification. Looks somewhat like a Greek coin but I can't find one like it.
Looks and sounds like silver.
15-16 mm
.825 grams
Any info. On origin, era, or links to information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help with my first ancient coin!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:01 am »

Slvr

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:23:45 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:35:40 pm »
Hi Slvr,

Yes, Pekka is correct. It is a Medieval silver coin minted in Genoa, Italy. It is probably a common denaro, but it could be a scarcer grosso-type coin. The city of Genoa started striking coins in 1139 A.D.

The obverse inscription reads: "IANVA". This is an old/Latin spelling of Genoa ("Genova" in Italian). It is a reference to the Roman god Janus.

The reverse inscription reads: "CVNRAD...". This is a reference to Holy Roman Emperor Conrad (II ?), who was highly revered and beloved by the Genoese people, even hundreds of years after he died.

You and I have something in common. That was the first ancient coin I ever purchased also. But I did it for a reason. I am a third generation American of Italian descent. My paternal grandparents came from Genoa, Italy. I specialize in collecting Genoese coins.

Meepzorp

Slvr

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:16:10 am »
Great information! Thank you. I have so much to learn.
How do I find out if my coin is a denaro or grosso type?

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:22 pm »

How do I find out if my coin is a denaro or grosso type?

Hi Slvr,

You find out by looking it up online or in a reference book. Fortunately, I have Varesi's MIR series of reference books, which cover Italian Medieval coins. Volume #2 covers Liguria and Piemonte.

The Genoese denaro and grosso both have the same exact inscriptions on both sides. You determine which coin it is by the weight. Your coin weighs 0.8g. A grosso would be much heavier than that (1.05g and up). A Genoese denaro weighs 0.39g to 1.06g. This makes your coin a Genoese Mi (billon) denaro.

Here is the info from Varesi MIR:

Obverse: IANVA, castle
Reverse: CVNRADI REX, cross patente
References: Varesi MIR 16, CNI 1/69

It is a very common coin.

Meepzorp

Slvr

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
Thanks meepzorp. I appreciate your effort and time.
Ancient coins are definitely much more complicated than the more modern coins.
Much more interesting though.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity