Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin of the day - a personal collection favorite  (Read 88 times)

Online CPK

• Praetorian
Coin of the day - a personal collection favorite
« on: March 30, 2024, 10:31:43 am »
Good day everyone! I hope the weekend finds you all in good health.

Today I'd like to present a coin that is a top favorite in my collection - a portrait coin of Alexander the Great, struck under Lysimachos a few decades after his death:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186325

These types are nothing new nor are they rare - but they are beautifully struck in very high relief, and exhibit some of the finest portrait artistry to come out of the Hellenistic era. I’m continually amazed at the quality, not only of the engraving, but also of the flan preparation and striking - despite the large quantities minted, and the high relief, there seem to be very few poor, soft, or off-center strikes.

I'd dreamed of owning one, but wasn't sure I'd ever be able to afford it. When this opportunity came up, the price was just so within my means and I went for it. This particular variant seems to be somewhat rare, unlisted in Thomson or Müller. I found only a handful of similar types online. My coin shares dies with a couple of them, which in turn were struck from the same dies as the Stockholm plate coin.

Of course with these coins the main attraction is the obverse portrait. On my specimen, the portrait exhibits some wear but overall is very well done: perfectly centered and attractively toned. The reverse is slightly less pleasing, but it still retains all the essential details. The coin has been and will remain a collection favorite.

Thanks for your time and interest!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Coin of the day - a personal collection favorite
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 08:24:22 am »
Beautiful portrait and coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online CPK

• Praetorian

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:44:15 pm »
This is such a fantastic coin, portrait is amazing.

Virgil

Online CPK

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:21:35 pm »
This is such a fantastic coin, portrait is amazing.

Virgil

Thank you!  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity