Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: fakes from italy  (Read 2882 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
fakes from italy
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »
 these are advertised as copies but they look quite impressive so it is a section of coins i dont think i will be collecting unless from this site

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: fakes from italy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »
Odds are they look much less convincing in hand.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:52 pm »

lets hope so before it become even more of a minefield interesting to see what is about as when these coins get split who knows who may be advertising them
 i am certainly not clever enough yet to spot these from photographs so will steer well clear 

petier

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
this fakes are not from italy, they are from bulgaria
part of the 05-07 flu.

at first hand they were looking  convincing even to some "experts" but then somebody get too greedy and produced so many copy's of the exact same coins that flood the markets.

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »
these are advertised as copies but they look quite impressive so it is a section of coins i dont think i will be collecting unless from this site

Selecting the right seller is the most important thing a new or experienced collector can do. 

rick2

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »
they look very convincing !

how do u distinguish from the genuine ones ?

if they were made so well i guess they used silver and weigh correctly

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »
These should fool "experts" at best, not experts.
Andreas Reich

rick2

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »
These should fool "experts" at best, not experts.

????

TRPOT

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
hmmm... I seem to recall some experts (not "experts") chastising members of the CFDL about 10 years ago for daring to condemn what are now known as the "Toronto Group" forgeries. It wasn't until matches surfaced that the experts accepted the facts. While I'm sure these experts would have probably thought differently having some of the coins in-hand, I have seen how experts can be fooled by photos of fake coins like these.  ;D

rick2

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »
I have seen how experts can be fooled by photos of fake coins like these.  ;D

fine

but we still running circle around the problem here !

why are they fake ?
what gives them away ?
how do you distinguish them from the original ?

i m no expert , but i have seen a few roman coins and judging from the pics i would not have been able to recognize these ones as fakes.

there s a few anonymous issue with the dioscuri dating from 210 BC that are quite convincing.

or is this a joke and i m missing something ?

TRPOT

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »
I have seen how experts can be fooled by photos of fake coins like these.  ;D

fine

but we still running circle around the problem here !

why are they fake ?
what gives them away ?
how do you distinguish them from the original ?

i m no expert , but i have seen a few roman coins and judging from the pics i would not have been able to recognize these ones as fakes.

there s a few anonymous issue with the dioscuri dating from 210 BC that are quite convincing.

or is this a joke and i m missing something ?

Everyone knows they are fake because they were sold as fake. These photos have nothing to do with it. If it was a different group of denarii (that had no matches in the fakes report) nobody would be as certain that they were fake. Some might suspect, but the photos are not good enough to condemn. Better photos, perhaps... but not photos like these.

rick2

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »
ok !

cos the coins in the pics seem struck
so i guess the only way out is die matching them

coins like these were probably made from silver and i would not be surprised if they weight correctly

TRPOT

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:16 pm »
I think they are probably, as Joe said, not very convincing in-hand.

I have some fake pressed denarii I bought as fakes about 10 years ago. The e-bay pictures looked fairly convincing so I thought they'd be good for study. When I got them I could see they'd fool almost no one. I was disappointed.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »
Hi,
Odds are they look much less convincing in hand.

I bought four to see what the look like in hand a couple of months back for £10 (inc. post). They are not convincing at all in hand. They have visible seams. You could file them down but the base(?) core would probably show. I have not weighed them but they are light in weight by feel. They also have a soft look to the design in hand.

Regards,

Mauseus

rick2

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:11 pm »
ok

than the light weight is the giveaway

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »

should these be in the fake coin report so that people can see these coins are circulating or not i am not sure quite how the system works
 to my mind it is not the fact that these coins are sold as fakes now it is what happens in the future not everyone is scrupulous as we well know?????

TRPOT

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:43:41 pm »
ok

than the light weight is the giveaway

You probably wouldn't even need to go as far as put them on a scale if they are as bad as mauseus said.

I doubt you'd be in any danger of not recognizing fakes of this quality in-hand. The danger lies in bargain-hunting off of marginal e-bay photos. Then you can be bitten. If one of these coins was presented in a good photo it'd probably look like the junk it is.

There are far more deceptive fakes out there though...

rick2

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
in that case i m going to be ok
i normally buy my stuff from dealers in person.
but i m always interested in knowing more about fakes , recently i found a fake sestertius that was die pressed onto an original flan !
it was simply amazing , it was so well made that i put it in my collection anyway

TRPOT

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
in that case i m going to be ok
i normally buy my stuff from dealers in person.
but i m always interested in knowing more about fakes , recently i found a fake sestertius that was die pressed onto an original flan !
it was simply amazing , it was so well made that i put it in my collection anyway

forgery is indeed an art in itself and the best forgeries are, most likely, sitting in collections undetected

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 02:34:04 pm »
You can see unconvincing flan cracks and seams even in the pictures. The sky is not falling.
Andreas Reich

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »
 Tallking about fakes from Italy, I heard from a prominent coin dealer that an "expert" testified in court that the two coins confiscated from "Cabinet W, " allegedly from Italy, were expert fakes!
PeteB

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »
You can see unconvincing flan cracks and seams even in the pictures. The sky is not falling.

the above information is very interesting to anyone who is trying to learn the art of detection so could you for everyone who is interested please explain flan cracks and seams that you can see THANKYOU in advance

TRPOT

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
Tallking about fakes from Italy, I heard from a prominent coin dealer that an "expert" testified in court that the two coins confiscated from "Cabinet W, " allegedly from Italy, were expert fakes!
PeteB

hahaha I wonder if that is a scheme by the lawyers or if it is really true.

There's a part of me that always gets a good chuckle when someone pulls off a successful big-money scam.  

:evil:

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 03:32:44 pm »
Just look at the pictures and compare with genuine coins. Many of these here have sharp, unnatural looking flan cracks, most noticeable in the first picture 3rd row but many of these coins have them. Seams are visible in the second picture, 1st row, 4th coin, 3rd row 3rd coin and on a number of other coins. Some of these, with bad pictures, might pass as genuine but I suspect none of them if you had them in hand.
Andreas Reich

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »
 the first lot have sold for  33.99 pounds and i have cut and copied another lot of denarii

these are advertised from the same seller

DO NOT MISS!!! Imitations of 1000 Roman denarii there is more than 45 different model of coins from repubblic to Impero , there is nothing like this ... it is perfect for collector such as retailer silver excellent, very beautiful high quality

electroplated with silver to 10% 

these are for sale for 1000 pounds

All coins are guaranteed for eternity