Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: EID MARR (!)  (Read 885 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
EID MARR (!)
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
The enclosed image of a silver coin was sent to me by a reputable dealer, who thinks it may be a barbaric imitation from the Thrace region.
It is a copy of an EID MAR but with a long, rambling obverse legend, partly inwards, partly outwards, which reads ..BRVI WAS IMPERI from the top clockwise and III ERL Y K T CEST RR (Y is upside down) from the top anti-clockwise.
The reverse - which is very well made - has EID MARR instead of the usual EID MAR.

I cannot imagine that a modern faker would make such a strange obverse, legend which has so little similarity to a genuine EID MARR, so wonder whether the dealer is in fact correct with his idea that it is a barbaric copy from Thrace ?

If so, would this coin still be appropriate in the fakes section ?

gavignano

Re: EID MARR (!)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
its a fascinating coin. It would seem pretty unlikely if a modern forger would do that, unless, such a coin (a barbaric Eid Mar) as this is worth hundreds or thousands of dollars (I have no idea).
The obverse portrait for some reason to me doesn't look ancient, even "barbaric" ancient.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:41:52 am »
The style does not look ancient to me. The reason to make it look like an imitation rather than an official issue most probably is the same as with the modern plated coins of rare emperors that have been showing up lately: people do not doubt them so quickly.

Were it ancient, it would easily fetch a very high 5-digit price in an auction, even with the solder (?) bump.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:04 am »
What kind of 'reputable dealer' is this that they can't judge the authenticity of such a coin?
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:15:29 am »
What kind of 'reputable dealer' is this that they can't judge the authenticity of such a coin?

You do have to smile ....  :) ;) ;D

A lot of such 'reputable dealers' live in hope.  And as we know hope frequently triumphs over experience! :)

The 'reputable dealer' thought process: Experience says its a fake.  But why admit the obvious when there is the hope (at the 0.00001% probability level) that it might be acceptable as a barbaric imitative in which case I am rich! ;)  Now I only need to get support for the outrageous, low probability proposition and I am on the way to the bank with my 'reputation' in tact.  ;D 8)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:20 am »
The style does not look ancient to me. The reason to make it look like an imitation rather than an official issue most probably is the same as with the modern plated coins of rare emperors that have been showing up lately: people do not doubt them so quickly.

Were it ancient, it would easily fetch a very high 5-digit price in an auction, even with the solder (?) bump.

Lars

I was wondering what that "bump" on the obverse is as well. 

Were there many imitations of this coin type?

Nick

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:46:15 am »
It happens all the time - note the number of "item withdrawn" notes in many auction catalogs and on auction websites - even of the biggest dealers in the world - because the coins in question were determined as fakes.
This particular dealer is from Eastern Europe.

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:04 am »
No, it doesn't look ancient or barbarian, just incompetent.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity