Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CONSTAN....?  (Read 506 times)

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
CONSTAN....?
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:32 am »
Hello!  I was wondering if there is any way to tell which Constan, Constantine, Constantivs, etc that this could be?

It is 15mm and to me looks like SMKA in exe...

As always, thank you!

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: CONSTAN....?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:55 am »
The soldiers and ONE standard type yields only one person whose name on the coins begins with CONSTAN, and that is Constantius (II) AVG. On his head I see a rosette diademe which should be adorned with laurel as well and then the choices are very thin. SMHA seems plausible for Herclea 23, a common coin.

Frans

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!   I am always amazed at how you guys can sort these things out! 

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:03:17 am »
http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

Dane has put a ton of time into these lists and they are the most helpful ID tool on the web for LRB's (Late Roman Bronze).

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:48:37 am »
I can not even begin to imagine how much time it took to make that site!  It is fantastic!  I couldn't seem to find the list of what the bust type abbreviations stand for.  Does anyone know where to find that?

Thank you for the link!  Wonder how I have missed that one...

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
On the bottom of the excel sheets, she has put many tabs. One of them is bust types. Somtimes, some of the tabs are hidden because of the sheer number of subtypes, in which case the arrows next to them will reveal more. :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity