Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help for an Arabic amulet  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Help for an Arabic amulet
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »
Dear members of Arabic language,

here I have an amulet with an Arabic legend just acquired in Antalya/Turkey for my wife. I know it is the name of Allah but there are some small letters around which I don't know. Any help?

Thanks in advance

KIR

Re: Help for an Arabic amulet
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »
Hey Jochen

Those are not letters they are the accents of the letters and are placed so caligraphically.
For example the letters actually spell out ALLH but with the "accents" it is pronounced Allah. Alef when at the beginning of a word stands alone and is not attached to the main body of the word itself. When a vowel is inside of the world you put that 3 that fell on its back above it. Thats called Ein. And depening on the accents it becomes a, e, o or u

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:55:20 am »
Thanks for clarification.

Jochen

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »
It looks like a similar system to Hebrew. It's a very similar language; if I know a Hebrew word, I can often recognise the equivalent in Arabic.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »
It looks like a similar system to Hebrew. It's a very similar language; if I know a Hebrew word, I can often recognise the equivalent in Arabic.
Really?
I would probably find it more similar to Nabataean, although I still can't see the equivalents.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »
Really?
I would probably find it more similar to Nabataean, although I still can't see the equivalents.

My guess is Robert is referring to the spoken languages more than the written ones. Arabic and Hebrew are closely related linguistically, though they have different writing systems. Nevertheless, both writing systems have similarities, such as being written from left to right and also the use of what are called nikudim (נִקּוּד = points) in Hebrew (I don't know the term in Arabic): the dots and dashes above or below a letter that imply the values of the vowels. If I am not mistaken, Arabic always employs these, while Hebrew does not require them to be written.

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »
Its true, nukud is rarly used unless specifically needed.  For example, if I were to write the Nabataean  name of the "Syllaeus" (Shilai) in Hebrew, I wouldn't just write the three letters SLI (שלי), because it would be read as "Sheli", meaning "my".  I would put in the proper vowels, to make שִלַי.
Its true, sometimes I can vaguely understand Arabic linguistically.

Quote from: commodus on March 25, 2011, 10:17:08 pm
Nevertheless, both writing systems have similarities, such as being written from left to right...
Hebrew and Arabic is read from right to left :).

-Aarmale
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:13 am »
Quote from: commodus on March 25, 2011, 10:17:08 pm
Nevertheless, both writing systems have similarities, such as being written from left to right...
Hebrew and Arabic is read from right to left :).

-Aarmale

Oops! Yes, of course they are -- that's what I thought I'd written.  :-[
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity