Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: March 2 - Trivia  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
March 2 - Trivia
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:56:53 pm »
1. What was the punishment for a Vestal Virgin who violated her oath of celibacy?
2. Which famous Vestal Virgin is said to be the mother of Rome’s legendary founders Romulus and Remus?
3. What was the name of Hannibal's last surviving elephant?
4. How did Viriathus die?
5. What does Potnia mean?
6. Why was the Roman consular year moved from the Ides of March to the Kalends of January (January 1)?
7. In what city is there an ancient house that still bares the warning "Beware of the dog (Cave Canem)?
8. How did Augustus upset the order of patronage when he became emperor?
9. What was a Roman overseer of slaves called?
10. If a slave woman had four or more children (preferably boys) what was she rewarded with?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: March 2 - Trivia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »
ad 3: In 'War Elephants' by Kistler/Lair (online) Hannibal's last surviving elephant is called Surus. He is mentioned by Cato and Plautus too.

Jochen

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:22:44 pm »
To the best of my knowledge:

1. Burial alive
2. Rhea Silvia, daughter of King Numitor of Alba Longa
3. Surus, according to ancient sources (I recall a children's story that called his last elephant Obolus, but I think it was wholly fictional)
4. Murdered while asleep by his own ambassadors to the Romans, who had been bribed
5. "Lady" or "Mistress" as a title of respect to a Goddess (the only meaning of it of which I am aware, anyway; it comes from the Greek)
6. Owing to the Second Celtiberian War in Spain (154BC). Q. Fulvius Nobilior was consul designate for the next year but could not take office until the Ides of March. Because of the war, the Senate moved the start of the new civil year to Jan 1st, permitting Nobilior to be inducted and depart with his legions.
7. Pompeii (House of the Tragic Poet)
9. Dominus? That means "master," so I'm not sure if it is the same thing

8 and 10 I can't answer without looking them up and I'm not so sure of 9.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »
ad 5: commodus is right. The Greek word is related to Latin 'potens, potestas', and so has the meaning of 'powerful','mighty'.

Jochen

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:11:44 pm »
Answer to # 7.
New York, Manhattan.
The doggy appears to be a fierce molossian.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:45:04 pm »
ad 10: As award for the birth of the fourth child Columella (famous for his viticulture, "De re rustica") has released the female slaves. But the status of the children remained that of the mother (Karl Christ, Geschichte der römischen Kaiserzeit: von Augustus bis zu Konstantin)

Jochen

Offline fluffy82

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:23 pm »
8. As "Pater Patriae" he became the symbolic patron of all roman citizens. With the abolishment of some (most?) elections, patrons had no longer use for clients. Worse: they became clients themselves. They had to seek political confirmation not with support of their "lessers" but by sucking up to their superior. You would be upset for less.

Tom

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
Nicely done all.  I see these were too easy.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »
Answer to # 1.
She was transformed by Vesta  into this

All coins are guaranteed for eternity