Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AEQVITAS Severus Alexander  (Read 1365 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
AEQVITAS Severus Alexander
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:32:35 am »
Obverse: IMPCAESMAVRSEVALEXANDERAVG
Bust laureate right, draped and cuirassed, front view
Reverse: AEQVITAS_AVGVSTI, SC left and right, very low in field
Aequitas draped, standing front, head left holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left, fold of drapery over left arm
BMC 333-6 (are draped, side view), RIC 547

I've been looking for a better AEQVITAS Sestertius for my collection when I came across this coin.  It's a pretty coin but the wear could be better.  So why did I buy it? 

It's an unusual portrait variety in a sestertius from year 226 (issue 6) that only became the standard portrait for draped and cuirassed portraits from 231 AD (issue 14) on.  For this reverse, it's unlisted in BMCBMC 359, Mars advancing right, BMC370 PAX AVGVSTI and BMC 378 Alexander sacrificing (Plate 13) have this portrait variety but they're not in my collection.  The search goes on!

Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity