Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead coins of Leo VI, The Wise? Counterfeit? Fake? Forgery? Repost.  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • Romanorum Ancient Coins
Hello all:
I posted this topic on the Byzantine forum a couple of weeks ago, but received no answers. I'm posting it again here just in case someone might have any thoughts. Thanks

LEO VI, The Wise.
+LEOnbA S ILEVSROm
+LEOn EnOEObA SILEVSR OmEOn.
SBCV 1729
11.65g.

This coin came in a lot a purchased at auction a few years ago.  It was the remnants of someone's old collection, in an apparently 1960's old, crumbly folder, and it contained about 100 bronzes, including Provincial, Roman, and Byzantine coins.

Nice as the lot was, there were two coins, a Roman and a Byzantine, that seemed a little off. The latter is the one in question here.

A heavily "earthed," soiled piece, as so many Byzantines tend to be, I eventually got to it and patiently cleaned it for a while. I was rather surprised to find that it wasn't bronze, but a rather dark metal, perhaps a lead alloy, as it appeared to be rather soft.

When seen sideways, the thickness of the coin is about twice as much on one side; and on the thicker side it does have what appears to be a casting seam.

This type being one of the most common Byzantine coins ever minted, it struck me as rather interesting that someone would go to the trouble of counterfeiting (or faking) a coin that looks very different from the original, and that also weights in at about 30% to 40% more than what seems to be the average for this type.  (Then again, so many fakes don't make any sense at all...)

Following the logical path, I'm assuming it's guilty until proven innocent.

If counterfeit or fake, are there any known lead (gray metal, at any rate) counterfeits or fakes of Byzantine coins? (If fake, it would appear that it was done at least forty years ago, if one is to date it by the folder.)

Any thoughts?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity