Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Sasanian(Help!!!!!!)  (Read 6468 times)

Offline mursik

• Consul
Another Sasanian(Help!!!!!!)
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:07 pm »
Here's presenting to your view a new coin. Is it real? I would be glad if you tell me what this coin and if it is rare. If a rare what is its value.

Thanks in advance

tkmallon

Re: Another Sasanian
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:37:46 am »
Looks cast.

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:09:23 am »
and not expensive even if it was genuine!

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:33:03 am »
Trying to learn to attibute these.  If genuine, would this be Khusru II 2nd reign, AD 591-628, Year 38, Ray Mint?

Eugene
Eugene

tkmallon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:44:52 pm »
Definitely not LD 38.  I can't figure it out.  Blundered AL? Blundered date in the teens? Letterforms look practically Arab-Sasanian.  Maybe some sort of fake mule/fantasy?  Who knows.  If it didn't look cast it would be interesting....

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:30:16 am »
So this coin is genuine or not? Upon closer examination is not like the cast and the edges evenly cut. It is quite thick, is similar to the early Middle Ages.

Abuseva

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:11:12 pm »
I think, that's contemporary imitation of Khusro II. Likely, its' weight  is less, than 3.5 gr. Rare, interest..

tkmallon

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »
I think, that's contemporary imitation of Khusro II. Likely, its' weight  is less, than 3.5 gr. Rare, interest..

Certainly possible.  What IS the weightStill looks cast to me....  tom

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »
Modern( contemporary) in sense there 5 or 6 centuries of our era?

tkmallon

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 06:31:47 am »
What's the weight?

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »
Has measured weight of this coin on electronic scales. And so this weight of this coin of 4,25 grams.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »
So what your versions? What it for a coin? It though original in your opinion?  ???

(My version: it most likely a coin arabo-sasanidov, and 8-9 centuries or later. Edges on this coin are cut off as on coins of 9-10 centuries. On edge the rests of slag from strong burning, this slag acts in film from pressing by a screw-driver and under slag too a coin without damages. That that is really original coin at me doubts isn't present, I have got it at very known and oldest antiquary from Cologne at it modern fakes wasn't present. I don't exclude a medieval fake.)

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
Well it though not a modern fake? :'(

tkmallon

Re: Another Sasanian(Help!!!!!!)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »
4.25 gm is heavy for a (slightly) clipped coin but the accretion is probably adding some weight. Agree with Abuseva; I'd call it a contemporary imitation.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »
Thanks! You are right! The coin weighs probably 4 grammes, but on on it the rests of burnt slag which makes heavier it which can be removed. (Probably it was in a fire or nearby where there were high temperatures)

Modern( contemporary) in sense there 5 or 6 centuries of our era?Well it though not a modern fake?

It is a good coin?

tkmallon

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 08:34:24 pm »
Yes, "contemporary" meaning: 7th or 8th century CE.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:30 am »
Thanks for the answer.  :)

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 03:47:48 am »
Dear Tkmallon. Dear sirs! Still I have a question:

You on the former consider that this coin cast? I there see double blow from stamping, but I can and isn't right. And it concerns what category of imitations? Or similar ancient imitations are yet enough studied?
This coin did in the ancient time as jewelry or how means of payment?

I will be glad to learn your opinion.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 03:22:36 am »
At one Russian forum to me told that this coin cast. And what your opinion dear sirs?

tkmallon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
Well, just slide up a bit and read the responses (from nearly 3 years ago). Still looks cast to me. tom

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
 Dear  Tom! Thanks for the answer.  It I am the owner of this coin, I weighed it today on jeweler scales. Its exact weight of 4.04 gr. This coin weighs less than about 3.70-3.90 grams if to clean from its surface slag(!).
And these vplavleniye metal it is slag which easily exfoliates from silver!
Besides there in the beginning made trimming of edges of this coin, and then there were these stratifications of slag. And on a coin the double blow is visible, it is made a stamping way.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity