Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Attribution Issue: Leo III?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Another Attribution Issue: Leo III?
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:53:50 am »
I have always had trouble distinguishing Sear 1531, which he attributes to Leo III, and Sear 1568, which he attributes to Constantine V.

Both coins have an image of Leo on one side (with LEON on the left) and Constantine on the other (with K :Greek_omega_small: NS on the left).  On the Leo III coin, it is Leo III, and on the Constantine V coin, it is Leo IV

Both coins are supposed to show the two figures dressed in chlamys and holding akakia.

The Leo III coin shows  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon::Greek_Pi_3: to the right of both emperors.

The Constantine V coin shows :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon::Greek_Pi_3: to the right of Constantine, but NEOV to the right of Leo IV.

So it seems that the easiest way to distinguish the two types is to see if there is a :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon::Greek_Pi_3: on the LEON side.  If so, it has to be Leo III, right? 

There is supposedly another way to tell the two coins apart, but in practice I think it is virtually impossible.  On the Leo III coin, Leo is bearded and Constantine is not.  On the Constantine V coin, Constantine is bearded and Leo is not.  Personally I cannot see a beard on any of the emperors.

In any case, I have two coins.  Both seem to have  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon::Greek_Pi_3: on the LEON side, so I think they might both be Leo III.  However, the styles are radically different - worlds apart, starting with the lettering.  And on the larger coin that does not look like a chlamys to me.  If it is supposed to be a chlamys, it does not look anything like the chlamys on the smaller coin.  And it looks to me like both emperors on the larger coin are holding a cross rather than the cylindrical chlamys.

I know that I have a habit of seeing things when looking at the photos  :afro:  but do my eyes deceive me here?  What do I have here?

[Update:  I have updated with a better photo taken in natural light].

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Another Attribution Issue: Leo III?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:16 pm »
Hello. Here is the coins of Leo III that I know.
Antvwala

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:52:17 pm »
Thank you!  I guess I have a Type 6 "Normal" and a Type 6 "Variation A".  Are all of these coins attributed to Syracuse

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:07:23 am »
Yes. All are syracusian. If you write me your email address, I will send you an article PDF with total issues of Leo III by Syracuse.
Antvwala

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:46 pm »
Hello Obryzum: I dont life in Italia, but in Achao, a very little town in the island of Quinchao, in the archipelago of ChiloƩ (Chilean Patagonia). That is my beautiful island:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49721.0

Bye. Antvwala

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:30:06 am »
Very nice.  I passed by your island in July this year.  I took the ferry from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales. 

My wife and I really liked Chile -- especially the Lake District -- and we are thinking about moving there maybe 10-15 years from now.  I would like to buy a place on the river so that I can go fly fishing in my backyard with a nice view of the volcano.   

I guess Chile is one of the last places I would expect to find someone with an interest in Byzantine coins -- especially Sicilian issue!

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:37:12 am »
In fact, my primary interest are trachys and secondary are sicilian follis. I think (fear) of being the only collector of ancient coins of ChiloƩ :-\

Antvwala

All coins are guaranteed for eternity