Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Obverse and Reverse  (Read 824 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Obverse and Reverse
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:37:16 pm »
Here's an interesting thing. (To me, anyway!)

The question of which side is obverse and which is reverse on "Greek" coins does not always have a clear answer.  It might be settled by looking at which die has produced which side.   But here are two coins of the same type, of Antiochos VII,  in which that does not seem to be consistent ..  I'm not making any conjectures.  I don't know enough about these coins.  But I haven't noticed this before.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Obverse and Reverse
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:58:07 pm »
These were struck on cast flans with beveled edges. The difference between these two coins is the way the flan was put between the two dies, not which die was the anvil die.

Barry Murphy

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Obverse and Reverse
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 01:17:37 am »
Aha, that would explain it indeed.  Thanks, Barry. 
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity