Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Parthian Mithridates genuine?!  (Read 946 times)

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
Parthian Mithridates genuine?!
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:43:41 am »
These two Mithridates coins have raised a lot of controversy. Modern fake or genuine? we can not really reach to a satisfactory conclusion. Strong doubts about them have been proposed but the seller insists that they are genuine. Please Help me in this case.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Parthian Mithridates genuine?!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:36 pm »
Why are doubts being expressed? I wouldn't condemn either on the basis of the pics, but that's not to say something wouldn't be visible in hand. I wouldn't buy the top one since, if it is genuine, it's not hard to find better examples. This one's definitely real.

Edit: I don't think mine is a reverse die match to the second, but it's pretty close!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:24:38 pm »
As said by the seller, the coin A, is a rare type, since as could be seen on the reverse, there is a kind of arrow in the Arasacus hands which is not common in the Mithridates (and even other parthian kings) coins. But inspecting the coins in hands, some semi-professional collectors concluded that the coin A is a modern forgery while the coin B is a cast fake! Even someone else said that the type A, has been in acid solution to remove the tooling remains!!! This made me quite dissapointed since I myself couldn't find anything unsual with the coins. Besides, the edges (not shown here) are to me without any observable problem and also I believe that the coin B includes enough details (not being soft) especially on the reverse that is hard to be considered as a modern cast. However, its worth mentioning that droping the coin B on a stone surface produces a sound that is apparently different from my other parthian drachms. Is it a useful inspection method? I don't know, but I just thought that it could be of any help

Arya

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:46:36 am »
I really don't like your first coin.  This coin is suppose to be Sellwood 26.1 and Shore 77, but it has several errors that I can see.  First the beard is wrong. In the lower part, the bunches should go all the way across the beard.  There should not be a solid border to the beard as on the right side as on your coin.  I looked at nine examples that had three bunches in the lower beard like on your coin, and the bunches go the whole width of the coin.  Of course some coins don't have bunches (saw three examples like this).

On the top of the robe, the dotted border does no go the whole length.  Your coin has only three dots, while other examples have dots going the whole length.

Finally the inscription on the reverse has very poorly formed letters, especially the  :GreeK_Sigma: 's.  Most of the examples I looked at always had well formed letters.

For the second coin, I can't really say.  Do you know the weight?  Have you looked at it under magnification?  Shore's examples varied from 4.01 to 4.22 grams.  Gobl's example wieghted 3.83 grams.

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:07:30 am »
For these 2 coins I have exactly the same opinion as Howard. What is sure it is never I would buy the first one. Furthermore it is very easy to find a drachm of Mithradates II, and the majority do not raise problem.

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:02 pm »
Thank you so much for your opinions. So it could be concluded that the authenticity of the coins remains under question. any other opinions?
Howard I will report the weight soon.

Offline Arya Aravand

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:29:08 am »
The wieghts are: 4.01 for coin A and 4.1 for coin B.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity