Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: First Eastern Mints for Vespasian?  (Read 956 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
First Eastern Mints for Vespasian?
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:06:39 pm »
In the thread  'Les premières monnaies de Vespasien' I asked the following question and will ask it here too:

What were the first Eastern mints that struck for Vespasian in 69?

I have a BMCRE 435, obv - IMP CAES VESPAS AVG, rev - PACI AVGVSTAE, unknown Asia Minor mint, dated by The BMCRE to 69-70.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=241&pos=47
I always fancied it to be from 69.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: First Eastern Mints for Vespasian?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:57:36 pm »
...or if anyone has access to a copy of the RPC II and can give me the date it gives for the above coin, that would suffice.

I mainly use the BMCRE and RSC for my Flavian denarii attribution, but apparently when it comes to the provincial issues the BMCRE is some what out of date.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:08:51 am »
RPC II p. 125, this  section written by Metcalf:

"There are some undated coins which appear to precede those dated cos II, and it is possible that they were minted in late 69 or else early 70, but there is nothing to demonstrate striking in 69, and the date of 70 would be implied...if some of the reverse designs are derived from those used at Rome in that year."

p. 126:  "The designs of the heads and the standing figures of Titus and Domitian are the same as those used on the earliest coins of Rome (BMCRE 1, 6)."

The aureus BM 6, however, with FILI retrograde in rev. exergue, may itself be Eastern.
Curtis Clay

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:37:23 pm »
Thank you Curtis for the RPC information.

An odd situation that virtually no precious metal coinage was minted in the East during Vespasian's first six months (or at the least, very little evidence of any).

One would presume that most of the donatives promised to the Eastern Legions in 69 would be paid at a later date.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity