Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help w/ As pls... Need ID on Emperor  (Read 633 times)

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Help w/ As pls... Need ID on Emperor
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:32:37 pm »
AE 27  12.7g Bust facing left on obverse. I can read CAESARAVG for certain and then maybe....(IMP). Reverse may be SALVS w/ SC in ex. Looks similar to Nero reverses except in those the S C is on either side of figure and not in ex.  can anyone help???? Thanks!
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Re: Help w/ As pls... Need ID on Emperor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:52:11 am »

Ave Newone,

Please pardon me if wrong here –

Your coin being Æ, and the obv. if Nero (which it also looks to me like it could be) – then I think your reverse cannot be Salus, which, if I’ve understood Sydenham correctly, were struck for Nero only in silver & gold: besides which, I think all Salus types for Nero are paired with a laureate head right.

I believe from looking at Sydenham here at the moment (c. The Coinage of Nero), Securitas can be ruled out as well.
  Who the figure is on your reverse though I have no idea; no more than I can honestly say I have a clue who’s on the obverse.

Best,
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:28:15 am »
Looks like a dupondius of Claudius struck at a branch mint in the provinces,

TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP / CERES AVGVSTA S C.
Curtis Clay

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:56 am »
Thank you both for the info. I will have to check in to Claudius as that seems to be the more likely candidate.  :-)
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity