Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Removing PVC from cleaned coins  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Auric Packrat

• Legionary
Removing PVC from cleaned coins
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:15:05 am »
Hello Folks, My Father collected some Ancient coins back in the 50's - 60's. All have been cleaned, and were put in the plastic flips that were full of PVC!! Having recently found these coins,  it appears the PVC is sticking to the coins almost like glue!!! Would anyone know how to safely remove the PVC, as not to ruin the patina of the coins? I know there are some solutions one can use for modern coins, but would they be safe for Ancients? Thanks for your consideration. I am a new member of Forum.  Great Site!!

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Removing PVC from cleaned coins
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:20:40 am »
You can use acetone to safely remove the residue.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »
As Victor says, Acetone works fine, I've used it often for this purpose. Soak them in Acetone for 10-20 minutes or so, take out and brush very gently, repeat if necessary.
Andreas Reich

Offline Auric Packrat

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »
Great! Thanks! I will try the Acetone!! Thanks for your advice!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity