Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification of Septimius Severus AE 35  (Read 307 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Identification of Septimius Severus AE 35
« on: February 26, 2023, 05:59:22 am »
Hi,

I have another coin with which I am stuck.

AE, 35.21 mm, 21.54 grm.

Obv.: Laureate, draped and cuirrassed bust seen from front to the right, [...] L SEP SEOV[...]ON, counterstamp seems to show a standing figure
Rv: Tyche with Kalathos, rudder and cornucopiae standing left; no legend left.

I have gone through a lot of possibilities without being successful. The obverse reminds me of Septimius's Tarsus coins but there are no Tyche coins for him in Tarsus that I could find.

Ans help is - as always - highly appreciated.

Thank you and all the best

Thilo

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Identification of Septimius Severus AE 35
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 04:23:22 pm »
Cilicia, Irenopolis. Septimius Severus. Karbach 80. Same obverse die including the same countermark (Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent; Howgego 251)

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Identification of Septimius Severus AE 35
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 06:08:56 pm »
Dear Tom,

perfect, thank you!

Best

Thilo

Offline Altamura