Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crispus/Constantine II (?) - VOT V - Silver  (Read 293 times)

Offline Harry W

• Praetorian
Crispus/Constantine II (?) - VOT V - Silver
« on: January 26, 2023, 01:15:30 pm »
Hello all

I hope everyone is doing ok :-)

I have acquired this alongside some other coins. I have managed to identify the others, but am a bit stuck with this one. I think I have narrowed it down to Constantine II or Crispus, I am leaning towards the latter after a bit of research. Unfortunately, I do not have an accurate scale but have included a penny in the scan. I hope this helps.

It seems to be in rather rough condition with some pitting and a flan crack. If you need pictures of the rim let me know and I'll supply them. I believe the reverse reads:
CAESARVM NOSTRORVM

Thank you,
Harry

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Crispus/Constantine II (?) - VOT V - Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:55:25 am »
that really looks like a cast from pot metal...so probably not ancient.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Harry W

• Praetorian
Re: Crispus/Constantine II (?) - VOT V - Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:15:39 am »
Quote from: Victor C on January 27, 2023, 12:55:25 am
that really looks like a cast from pot metal...so probably not ancient.

Hello

Thank you for your reply. It does seem a little suspect. Especially the red in the gap on the outer edge around 3 O clock. It is also quite porous as youve probably noted.ive attached some more pictures to see if we can be definitive but I think you may be right unfortunately.

Thanks,
Harry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity