Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trachy with strange bust on obverse  (Read 485 times)

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
Trachy with strange bust on obverse
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:02:34 pm »
In my Byzantine collection I have coins from about 48 Emperors. Most coins are not the best ones. But I love all of them.

There are some trachy's in my collection with no ID. Hope someone can help me.

This is the first one.

Weight 1.95 g
Size 23 mm

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Trachy with strange bust on obverse
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:00:56 pm »
It might be SB 2012.

Alexius III Angelus-Comnenus, 1195-1203. Trachy (Bronze), Constantinople. +ΚЄ ROHΘЄI Draped bust of Christ facing, nimbate, raising his right hand in benediction and holding scroll in his left; in fields, IC - XC. Rev. Alexius III standing facing on the left, and St. Constantine, nimbate and bearded, standing facing on the right, each wears crown, divitision and loros and holds labarum; both holding between them globus cruciger.

Here's an example from coin archives, noting there is a lot of artistry variation on these:

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:00 pm »
Thanks Ron C2

I have a lot of trachy's of this type, and there is indeed some variation. But haven't found anything that looks like this one.
But still you could by right.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 07:00:40 pm »
Yes the coin has three Sear numbers and in DOC a dozen variations. That excludes faithful copies or Latin Rule imitations.

SBCV-2011 Christ without additional legend.

SBCV-2112 Christ with additional legend.

SBCV-2013 The name Comnenus is added to the emperors legend. (I do not have a clear example.)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:54:21 pm »
Fantastic examples of those two. I wish you the best of luck finding the third! Please post it here when you do.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity