Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID Medieval Gold Coin  (Read 452 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
Help ID Medieval Gold Coin
« on: January 05, 2023, 04:00:21 pm »
Hi

Gold
21 mm
3.45 gr.

Thanks

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Help ID Medieval Gold Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 04:39:14 pm »

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 04:39:25 pm »
Looks like

Gold HUNGARY. 1 Ducat, ND. Fr-12. Matthias Corvinus, 1458-1490. St. Ladislas. Reverse: Madonna seated

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:42:31 pm »
Looks like

Gold HUNGARY. 1 Ducat, ND. Fr-12. Matthias Corvinus, 1458-1490. St. Ladislas. Reverse: Madonna seated

Thank you. But the photos presented do not quite correspond to mine: there are many details that are different. The writing style is not the same, crosses, not dots, between words, crosses in the vase instead of flowers, etc.

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 06:24:14 pm »
Yes you are right. But there is something strange about the letters on your coin. 

Especially if you look at all the A's. As well as the I and E that are not neatly placed on the reverse from ARIE.
Could be a coiner's mistake, but it is strange.

I hope you can find a coin similar to yours online. And that it is a real one, because there are modern copy's.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 06:49:00 pm »
Yes you are right. But there is something strange about the letters on your coin. 

Especially if you look at all the A's. As well as the I and E that are not neatly placed on the reverse from ARIE.
Could be a coiner's mistake, but it is strange.

I hope you can find a coin similar to yours online. And that it is a real one, because there are modern copy's.

Your indications allowed me to find a coin that almost matches mine (but stars instead of crosses between words and stars instead of crosses for flowers). I continue to hope that someone will find a coin identical to mine.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=4236&lot=63

Thanks again for your help

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 09:24:29 pm »

Your indications allowed me to find a coin that almost matches mine (but stars instead of crosses between words and stars instead of crosses for flowers). I continue to hope that someone will find a coin identical to mine.
[/quote]

This is a link to your variant of the coin: https://machochlapovic.com/cz/aukce/21/47. Stkp

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 03:03:41 am »

Thank you very much  Stkp  +++

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 10:42:42 am »
Must check up the history of Mathias Corvinus. To be named The Raven indicates that he wasn't someone you'd invite home for dinner.

Clueless

All coins are guaranteed for eternity