Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?  (Read 517 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?
« on: November 29, 2022, 01:01:52 am »
Orginally I thought it might be sbcv 2364, but the picture in SB does not show a star in lower left and cross in belt on figure on right.

thanks fo any help, and a secondary question, I just bought Bendall/Donald The later Palaeologian coinage, though have not received it yet. Is it still considered a reasonable reference?

1.87g
22mm

CW

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Andronicus II, SBCV 2364?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:52:47 pm »
Your second question is the book is useful but I find myself using it less now. The use of line drawings makes attributing easier. Also, the index in the back for quick look up is also helpful.

What I find myself using more commonly now is Liantas book BUT I found a proof copy, it is softback, and the images are in color, I use it much more than her hardback that has the pictures in black and white. The proof copy I acquired came from Simon Bendall's library so that is cool too. It was well worn before I got my hands on it.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:32:25 pm »
yes I find Lianta's book helpful, a color copy you have, coins in color? interesting, how much easier is that on the eyes? I have a hardback 2009 spink copy from when it came out. Was looking for something to help a bit more with the Paeologan period. yes line drawings are easier on my eyes! wish there was a volume 2 of CLBC....
the Michael VIII Bendell/Donald pamphlet is a little helpful, hence I found a copy of the mentioned book and will take a look at it.

I was looking at Liantas and noted coin 810 as SBCV 2457 and that the Liantas coin shows what appears to be a four point star lower left though no mention is made of it in the description or in SBCV, the Grierson (1466) plate coin is cut off a touch but shows no evidence of a star either. Does your color plate show that possible star any different?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:17 am »
SBCV 2457 has stars below left and right on the reverse - S.2364 has no stars (see below). And of course the ruler is crowned by a saint on S.2364.

For more details see here (towards the end):

https://www.glebecoins.org/paleos/Articles/The_Thessalonican_Trachea_of_A/the_thessalonican_trachea_of_a.html

Note that Grierson seems to conflate the two types in DOC V (he takes LPC 208,6 = S.2364 to be a variant of LPC 230,5 = S.2457).

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:52:36 am »
Thank you for that.

cw

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 10:35:53 am »
Sorry for my delay, Christmas decorating last night.

Here is a picture of the coin in question. I do find this proof version of the book much easier on the eyes. I also enjoy Labarum app, again between these two resources I find they assist in majority of research.

Yes, the line drawings in CLBC are excellent, not perfect but the best available.  I also appreciated the line diameter for each coin to be included but I am finding that to add more questions than answers. Recently I read a D.M Metcalf article that actually proposed the original idea of measuring diameters of the dies. He wrote this in the mid to late 1990's but that is for another thread.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity