Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The MARKET DEEPING hoard  (Read 645 times)

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
The MARKET DEEPING hoard
« on: October 29, 2022, 07:22:24 am »
Does anyone has the CHRB IV 1984 (Coin Hoards from Roman Britain) which is talking about that hoard ? I’m interested by the pages detailing the Victorinus’ finds, page 45-62. Help me please !
DT

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: The MARKET DEEPING hoard
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 06:22:06 am »
Hi,
I have the CHRB volumes.  What do you want looking up in the Market Deeping report?  I should be able to do it tomorrow.

Regards,

Mauseus

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 08:29:30 am »
Hi Rich. I was pretty sure you have it in your collection, but was too shy to bother you again..
I’m looking for a Victorinus coin in that hoard with the reverse FELICITAS AVG recorded by Schulzki in the AGK; I Hope there will be at least a description of it, and I’m dreaming of a plate picture… And by the way, another one is recorded in the sale FMRL II 49, N° 1800. I think it’s from the « Die Fundmunzen der romischen Zeit in Luxemburg ». Do you have an idea if it’s the good reference ?
Dominic

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 10:50:27 am »
Hi,  you're always welcome to ask me things. I'll check tomorrow.

Re FMRL,  that's the equivalent of CHRB for Luxembourg,  listing site finds and hoards. It's not a sale. There's also FMRD for Germany and FMRO for Austria etc.  It is Fundmunzen der Römischen Zeit.......  I only have handwritten notes on some of the Gallic finds in these volumes.

Kind regards,

Rich

Online AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 12:49:57 pm »
On  page 61 of CHRB IV, under the study of the Market Deeping,Lincs,Hoard is mentioned under  irregular coins:

IMP C VICTORINVS P F AVG  and uncertain (plated and barbarous)

FELICITAS                    1                                     Pot 2

No picture on page 62.

Read FELICITAS (not FELICITAS AVG) and with no further description nor weight.

Sorry.

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 12:56:40 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciated. Do we have an idea if the hoard is owned by a museum, or was it sold piece by piece over the years ?
DT

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 08:18:03 am »
Hi,
The Market Deeping and Deeping St. James find is a little confusing in Anne Robertson’s IRBCH,  hoad(s),  entry 699. There is no information in that publication,  nor back in the CHRB volume, about the fate of the hoard.

I wonder whether the coin you are asking about is the SAEC FELICITAS piece of Victorinus utilising a similar type to reverse of Marius. It isn’t illustrated. It is cited in the AGK of Schulzki as 28,  where specimens in BlackmoorCunetioNormanby and Market Deeping hoards from the UK and the Burmerange hoard from Luxembourg are noted.  I have not made a note of that hoard from FMRL.

The type is listed in Mairat’s PhD, type 602, and illustrates the Blackmoor and Normanby specimens,  noting that they are from the same reverse die. As he doesn’t illustrate the Market Deeping specimen suggests that it isn’t in a UK museum and therefore probably the hoard is dispersed.

Kind regards,

Rich

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 09:02:04 am »
Hi,

I do have a copy of the Burmerange entry from FMRL 1, 1972, hoard 57. It is coin 192 and noted as irregular.  Sadly I  don't have an illustration of it,  but could well be official.

Regards,

Mauseus

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 12:40:01 pm »
Many thanks for your research Rich. In fact, the specimens I’m looking for are listed as number N4b (R4) in the AGK with 5 references:
2 in La Blanchardière Hoard
1 in the Market DEEPING Hoard
1 in a sale(?) FMRL 2 49, No 1800
1 in a private collection

I found the catalog of the Hoard of la Blanchardière, which listed 2 examples, one with the long caduceus and the other with the short version. The coin I own is with the long one.
DT

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 04:48:13 pm »
Ah yes,  I see what you have been chasing now. Interesting imitation,  would be interesting to find die links.

Cheers,

Rich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity