Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican Denarius C. Antestius. 146 BC  (Read 389 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Republican Denarius C. Antestius. 146 BC
« on: June 25, 2022, 06:45:50 pm »
I just got this one in the mail today. I want to share and show it off. This is one of those coins that, for me, are simply beautiful and feel so good to hold. It is why I collect coins.

This was graded VF by the auction house and the person they got it from (they included that tag) had graded it EF. I saw a couple others for sale  and from past auctions and, from the pics, I would put this one in the VF category. Yet, in hand, I can see where the previous owner graded it EF. It does look better and have more detail than the photo. There is wear, but not as much as the photo indicated to me. Doesn't matter, it is a stunning coin in every way as far as I am concerned. I will probably label it VF as I try to be conservative in my grading. But, I always keep tags when I get them.

This coin makes me want to collect Roman Republican coins in a bigger way (I think this is only my second).

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Republican Denarius C. Antestius. 146 BC
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 06:52:21 pm »
Hi VH,

Nice coin!!! :)

It is nicer than my example (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rr_pt11.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:06:01 pm »
Your example is very nice, as are the other coins on that page. Thanks for sharing those.

Virgil

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:10:41 pm »
Thanks for sharing Virgil it's a beauty congrats 👏

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 07:17:13 pm »
Thank you ChefStu.

Virgil