Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Legend: Armenian Tram Hetoum I  (Read 475 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Legend: Armenian Tram Hetoum I
« on: May 28, 2022, 04:01:39 am »
Hello Dear Members,

Underneath one can see my Cilician Armenian Tram of Hetoum I.
I was seeking for the transcription and translation of the legends.
For the lion-side it is okay. It should be: HETOWM TAGAWOR HAYOTS for "Hetoum king of the Armenians".

The royal couple-side however is giving me more trouble. Till now I came to: KAROGHUT'BN ATS'W, what should stand for something as "by Gods' grace", but I think this needs a lot of correction. And I like the translation as literally as possible.

Yes, normally this is my work. I have a collection of coins in all kinds of strange scripts of which I look up transcription and translation.
But today I am a bit lazy and I have a lot of gardening to do and I saw here that some members can handle this in the blink of an eye, so I thought ...

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Legend: Armenian Tram Hetoum I
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 04:46:36 pm »
In the blink of an eye ... so I thought  ;) !

Never mind, this evening I fell on new information. Read the results underneath the pictures:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 05:00:24 am »
Can not say I am intirely satisfied with the latest traduction of KAROGHUT'BN AYE as "By the will of God".

The Levon Trams show another version of KAROGHUT'BN ... and get everywhere exact the same traduction. So both can not be literally.
If somebody can solve this in detail, I'd be very thankful.
See below:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 05:38:46 am »
Sorry, I will not bother you any longer with my problems here.
I think, I found the solution on Wikipedia:

The Armenians very oft abbreviated the name of God to the first and the the last letter and I think that is the case here on my coin.
Keep in mind that this is medieval Armenian and that evolution of the language brought us meanwhile east and west armenian (with their own alphabet variants) and many reforms before you compare with the picture below:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 03:57:03 am »
I like to show you what my coin looks like now.

I choose for the system with the coin cardboards, so I can keep the comments attached to the coin.
In this collection,"Identifying, locating, deciphering and dating", all is mixed up: ancient, old and modern, Western Satraps together with Ethiopia, Morocco with Mongolia ...
So, the whole looks very mysterious :)!
Disadvantage: This year I purchased five coins till now which I seemed to have in collection already. Not so funny!

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 04:13:18 am »
At night, in bed, I often have still coins in my mind.
This night, I thought: why is there no ligature mark at the Armenian "A-y" on my coin?
Then I saw it this morning and found: the extremely long nose of the Armenian "y" can very well be the alternative mark of a ligature here ...
See below:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity