Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspicious Roman Didrachm/Quadrigatus  (Read 512 times)

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
Suspicious Roman Didrachm/Quadrigatus
« on: April 25, 2022, 08:48:58 am »
I recently saw this in an auction. I was alerted by the details in the hair, the large number of pimples on the surface, the porosity on the surface, etc.

Any thoughts as to the authenticity of this coin?

(Described as: 6.10 g. 23.50 mm)

Many Thanks,

-Jack

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
Re: Suspicious Roman Didrachm/Quadrigatus
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:49:34 am »
Areas of concern:

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 08:54:16 am »
I should also note that the coin appears to be very similar to a fake coin reported here in November of 2016 under the title "Anonymous. AR Didrachm help needed."

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 09:52:43 am »
Was the other coin confirmed as fake and added to the fake coin reports?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 10:07:36 am »
Yes, and a more thorough search yielded two more fake coin reports (for a total of three) that appear to use the same obverse die/mold.

I take it that my suspicions regarding the authenticity are verified. My next question is--and please keep in mind that I am still very new to ancient coins--what is the proper course of action now? Should I notify the auction house with my concerns?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 10:18:38 am »
It would be generous to inform them. If I was the seller, I would want to be informed. They might, however, tell you they disagree or ignore you. Likely they have an expert who has looked at the coin and they might think you are just uninformed.

While you are welcome to advise them it is similar to coins on the fake coin report, please do not attribute any opinions to this discussion. We only give opinions on coins here. We do not coordinate informing sellers or discuss sellers. It can never be FORVM or FORVM members doing something to a seller. That could ruin our relationships with other dealers and soil the reputation of FORVM.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 10:32:55 am »
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like good policy. I think I will simply refrain from bidding on the coin.  :)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 11:26:49 am »
I think the original coin posted is authentic.  It may be from the same dies as the post he mentions below (or more likely the obv dies), but it is definitely not the same look as those coins which appear cast.  The coins in that post are widely distributed forgeries that have been circling for several years and still make their way into auctions.  The circled areas on the OP coin, at least some of them, look like leached silver deposits or whatever it's officially called.

Here's the link to the fake quad post.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=108930.msg665726#msg665726

Here's a one of those fakes below. In summary, the OP coin is very different from the fakes discussed in the other topic and I don't think it can be used as a comparison to justify the OP coin to be a forgery. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity