Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justin I Follis (Sear 83) with an unusual mintmark name NIKS  (Read 631 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Justin I Follis (Sear 83) with an unusual mintmark name NIKS
« on: April 13, 2022, 09:24:28 am »
Take a look at an interesting Justin I folles (SEAR 83) with an unique mintmark variant.
Usually it's NIKM, but in this case it's NIKS. Weight 17,91 gr., diameter 31,3 mm. In the name, it seems that it is also a grammatical error (DN IVSTI_NSPPAVG), but this is typical for Nicomedia mint. Judging by the two stars, this is still Justin I, not Justinian.
The coin is not an imitative issue and not a fake, without a doubt. I have seen the INKM form on a coin from the W. Leimenstoll Collection, but it was simply a craftsman's mistake. I have looked through the main reference materials and have not found the NIKS mintmark anywhere else. Even in MIB and MIBE. It's interesting. Has anyone seen a similar spelling of the mintmark?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
Re: Justin I Follis (Sear 83) with an unusual mintmark name NIKS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:11:12 am »
Oops read it too fast  :-[

Offline Zbigniew S

• Legionary
Re: Justin I Follis (Sear 83) with an unusual mintmark name NIKS
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 01:48:04 pm »
Hello.
Letter S is a sign of shortenning of the word NIKOMEDIA to NIK, not the pronunciation.
Best regards, Zbigniew

All coins are guaranteed for eternity