Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nerva - Vehiculatione Italiae Remissa - Fake?  (Read 617 times)

Offline Zoltan S2

• Legionary
Nerva - Vehiculatione Italiae Remissa - Fake?
« on: April 09, 2022, 05:07:08 am »
Hi fellow Collectors,

I am realtively new to the hobby and recently met an old guy selling his collection online. He had multiple interesting coins, one in particular was Nerva, RIC 93. The photos he posted online, I am sharing them below, showed a light brown patina-like cover on most places and when I went checking the coin in person the light brown part was removed, as seen also in the below pictures. I have explained to the guy that trying to clean the coin was a bad idea and that I am also questioning its authenticity and we settled in the end in a really bargain price, that I was willing to pay even in case it turns out to be fake. He had multiple clearly fake, cheap museum coins as well but this one was not of that kind.

The coin's weight and size seems to match, 34mm and 28 gramms, however the axis is 12, so if I turn the coin the reverse is up.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your help advance,
Zoltan

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Nerva - Vehiculatione Italiae Remissa - Fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 07:21:57 am »
I think those are two different coins.  The cruddy one shows damage to the edge not apparent on the cleaned one.  And I think both are fakes.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 03:22:58 pm »
Hi folks,

I agree with djm, on both points.

Additionally, the horse on the left on the second coin has a flat spot that is missing on the first coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Zoltan S2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 07:02:35 am »
Thank you both!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity