Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown coin - Celtic? - Indian? - I don't know.  (Read 532 times)

Offline 186

• Praetorian
Unknown coin - Celtic? - Indian? - I don't know.
« on: March 18, 2022, 02:39:48 am »
I have this (small) AE10.5mm., 0.59gm., coin that I know very little about. It arrived with some Greek coins that I purchased, but it looks out of place. I believe that I have seen the horse depicted that way before, but I cannot remember where.
If anyone is able to help me that would be appreciated.

Offline 186

• Praetorian
Re: Unknown coin - Celtic? - Indian? - I don't know.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:16:28 pm »
I am 'bumping' this post because it didn't get a response when I originally posted it and I still don't know what I have.
If anyone has any ideas they would like to share I would be happy to hear them. Thank you...

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 04:13:39 am »
Hello 186,
Difficult! The closest I can get is this unknown "Indian". Also a small coin with weight under 1 gram.
No trace of a horsy on the reverse however:
Found at Numismaclub. Maybe you found this already before I did ;)?

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 03:25:52 pm »
Other small "Indian" copper coins, like this underneath of the Nagas of Padmavati show a bull facing left.
It might well be possible that the animal on our coin here is a bull too.

The coppers of the Nagas of Padmavati have no trident or trishul on the other side, so we are not yet home.
Here is the comment on the coin:

Full Description:
Nagas of Padmavati, Ganapati Naga (3rd Cen. AD), Copper Unit(3), Obv: a humped bull facing left, Rev: brahmi legend “Maharaja sri gane…”, 0.70g, 9.01mm,

Offline 186

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 04:22:51 pm »

@Jan P Thank you for your comments. We might be on the right track here.
I will go down this road and if you have any further obs. please let me know.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity