Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd Maurice Tiberius follis from Nicomedia  (Read 811 times)

Offline Merinda

• Consul
Odd Maurice Tiberius follis from Nicomedia
« on: March 04, 2022, 11:40:03 pm »
The obverse legend on my coin reads [ON MO] PIKIO. The PIKIO is clear, and the first part of the reading comes from a very similar coin on Tom Mallon-McCorgray's site "The Coins and History of Asia" site now hosted on rasmir.com: http://grifterrec.rasmir.com/romaion/romaion2.html; a likely die duplicate went unsold in CNG eAuction 410, lot 437.

I am wondering whether anyone knows of any attempted interpretations of the legend, and/or whether there has been any scholarship attributing it as an imitation or emergency issue?

Weight is 9.41 grams (so on the light end of the range for Maurice), diameter 27-28 mm, Year 14, officina B = DO 104 v (only officina A listed)

Any leads greatly appreciated, thanks!

Magistros

Re: Odd Maurice Tiberius follis from Nicomedia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »
Interesting coin; it looks like the legend is a Greek translation of ‘Maurice’.

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 04:02:35 am »
Thank-you Macerata1!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:54:01 pm »
Here is another denomination by Maurice, I just got in the mail today and I thought it would complement your coin.

Maurice Tiberius looking to the left.

AE 10 Nummi Carthage 18mm 3.64gm SBCV-566 F/VF
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 11:03:45 pm »
Thanks Simon, very interesting - would you be able to provide your reading of the legend please?

Allan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity