Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Special Arles Constantine Caesar VOT X issue  (Read 561 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Special Arles Constantine Caesar VOT X issue
« on: August 31, 2021, 12:32:45 pm »
On the way to me is this rather special 'nummus' of Constantine II Ceasar from Arles with an unrecorded officina mark.
CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C laureate draped and cuirassed bust right, seen 3/4 from front. (is it draped, though?)/
CAESARVN NOSTRORVM around wreath with VOT/X in it. In the exergue is a clear mintmark Q  :star:AR  :dot:
This mintmark is rare at Arles and is not recorded for this issue. Without the dot it would match Ferrando 851 which corresponds to RIC 261.
I am very happy with the coin, not only for its rarity, but also for its pristine conservation.

Frans

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Special Arles Constantine Caesar VOT X issue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 12:39:44 pm »

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 01:18:27 pm »
Thank you Pekka,
Yes, I should have checked Lech's lists. I reckoned however that Ferrando's inventory was complete, which it apparently isn't. The reverse is, of course a die-match, but the obverse isn't, which gives us hope of identifying the year of issue!

Frans

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 10:18:52 am »
Congratulations, Frans! Could you give me the details of your pretty new coin (weight, diameter)?

Nb. Not in RIC includes also types which are not attested in Ferrando, Bastien, Paolucci, Zschucke, Drost... etc. They are exclusively attested only in Not in RIC.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 12:35:30 pm »
The reverse is, of course a die-match, but the obverse isn't, which gives us hope of identifying the year of issue!

We already have Constantius II, who was only made caesar in 11-324, appearing in the P*AR issue, so this follow-on "dot" issue has to post-date that.

It seems that at Constantine's mints (or at least at some of them) the VOT X type continued to 325 AD, then was either dropped or gave way to the caesar's VOT XX (Ticinum) in their decennial year 326 (317+9). Likewise Constantine's VOT XX seems to have continued to 324 AD, and then was either dropped or replaced by VOT XXX in his vicennalial year 325 (306 + 19).

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity