Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval Coins in the Anaximander Collection  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Medieval Coins in the Anaximander Collection
« on: July 19, 2021, 03:01:30 pm »
:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: Announcing a new galleryMedieval Coins in the Christian A. Thomsen Collection :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: 

Yes, this is a play on the collection and the book (Medieval Coins in the Christian J. Thomsen Collection, by Kristian Erslev, Attic Books, NY, 1992).  That title was previously published as Catalogue de la collection de monnaies de feu Christian Jurgensen Thomsen, part two (1873).

My medieval coin collection follows just a handful of regions within Europe and related issues in Crusader lands.  Coins date from around 800 AD to 1600 AD, and only consists of hammered coinage.

Links to this gallery... (updated Feb. 2022)
Anglo-Gallic The English kings and lords in France.
British Anglo-Saxon, Viking, and English (Norman, Plantagenet, Lancaster, York, Tudor).
Carolingian Kings and lords in France, Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy in the eighth to tenth centuries.
Crusader
Achaia, Antioch, Athens, Cyprus, Eprius, Jerusalem, Cyprus, Rhodes, and Tripoli.
France Capetian, Feudal, and Valois.
Nordic Danish and Hiberno-Norse.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Virtual Tray of British Coins (Kings and Queens of England)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 03:09:13 pm »
The first installment in my Medieval coinage series is British Coinage.  The ancient coinage (Celtic and Romano-British) are covered in other galleries. The medieval series includes Anglo-Saxon and related issues.  To make short work of it, here's a virtual tray of my British coinage, following the royal line.  Click the thumbnail to see an enlarged version.  There are still a couple of gaps to fill, on my want list.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Medieval Coins in the Christian A. Thomsen Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:27:08 pm »
Great Virtual Tray... +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Medieval Coins in the Christian A. Thomsen Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:51:12 am »
I love that virtual tray!

Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Crusader Coins in the Thomsen Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 04:25:44 pm »
Just added to my member gallery: thirty Crusader coins.  You will find them here.  Mints include Achaia, Antioch, Athens, Cyprus, Eprius, Jerusalem, Cyprus, Rhodes, and Tripoli.

I struggled to come up with a meaningful virtual tray, going down avenues that proved fruitless.  Case in point: the Kingdom of Jerusalem at some points was in exile, and it ended as an appendage, in name only, to the Cypriot kingdom. The literature, such as the Coins of the Crusader States by Malloy, Preston, and Seltman, would do much better than I.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Medieval Coins in the Thomsen Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 07:13:42 am »
Hi, Chris,

Great group of coins…😉
Congratulation 👍

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

Offline St. George's Collection

• Praetorian
    • My medieval coins
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 07:17:06 am »
A wonderful collection of British and related coins. 

I really like your virtual tray.  Don't worry about the first two holes.  There are only 3 known coins of Beorhtric and they are all in museums.  None in private hands.  Also, Aethelbald did not issue any coins in his name. 

Your Anglo-Viking coin in the name of "Eltangerht" is a tremendous rarity, and I really like your Edward the Martyr penny, among others of course.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:40:52 pm »
I love your coins, especially the Crusader States, but the English coins are great, too.

Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
French Coins in the Anaximander Collection of Medieval Coins
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 08:00:44 am »
My newest member gallery has just opened: French Medieval Coins (here).  It took longer than expected, but I have now uploaded my collection of French royal and feudal coins onto my Forum gallery.  The gallery is best viewed using Position △.

References are something of an obsession, along with getting the best photos possible.  The cornerstones of my reference material for French coinage are Jean Duplessy's Les Monnaies Royales Françaises and Les Monnaies Féodales Françaises; as well as James Roberts' The Silver Coins of Medieval France (476-1610 AD).  I was able, finally, to get a copy of Faustin Poey d'Avant's three volume Monnaies Féodales de France. I still have not located a copy of Ciani, Boudeau, or Lafaurie, all of which are widely cited. C'est la vie. 

My collecting ethos is generally 'one of each' for issuers, be they kings, feudal lords, or regions.  My preference is for well-struck silver coins. Silver deniers -sometimes described as denarii- predominate. I have not found obols, though it was a common denomination in the day.  In the French royal coinage, I am particularly impressed by the Gros Tournois, introduced by Louis IX, Saint Louis (1226-1270).  This large-flan, weighty, and well struck silver was imitated elsewhere in Northern Europe.

I welcome feedback and corrections.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Medieval Coins in the Anaximander Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 07:49:59 pm »
Anaximander,

What a wonderful addition to your already wonderful gallery. I looked at every one. Great pictures and descriptions. Bravo!

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Nordic Coins in the Anaximander Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 07:59:29 am »
Another medieval coin gallery: Nordic Coinage, featuring Hiberno-Norse (Viking Ireland) and Denmark. It's a small gallery, scarcely more than a handful. It would help to attend Northern European coin shows and auctions, and to have their reference books, but both are something of a stretch at present. 

Tracy: Thanks for the kind words!  I wanted the gallery to be up-to-snuff, and I worked diligently on references and photography.

This week I'm off to a Spartanburg, South Carolina, coin show, only my second, but I have only the faintest hope of finding any medieval coins there.  There will be probably one dealer in ancient coins.  I'm hoping he picked up some good material at the New York International.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 12:57:19 pm »
That is a great gallery, very interesting, not to mention the rest of your pages, very nice. I am curious about the show you mention, is it worth driving there for only one dealer? I am close enough to drive there and back in a day. Now is not a good time for me budget wise, but it could be an interesting day trip even for looking. But only one dealer sounds like it could be a pretty quick stop, too.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 06:01:25 pm »
I confess, Virgil, that it isn't a great idea to travel a long way to a show for just one dealer. I've already trimmed back my trip to just one night in Spartanburg for the Upstate South Carolina Coin Show.  Better to just work directly with the one dealer.  A show like Coinex or the ANA National Money Show is a different kettle of fish

For my part, I will be picking up a check for a past consignment (my Celtic and Eastern cultures collections) and dropping off another consignment (bye bye, Ptolemaic coins), even as I continue to build my ancient Greek and Roman (and Medieval) coin collection.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 06:10:49 pm »
Yeah, I had pretty much decided that already, thanks for the response. It is not quite close enough for a trip on a whim.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Carolingian Coins in the Anaximander Collection
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 07:50:59 am »
My Carolingian collection is now posted in its own gallery. Medieval: Carolingian coins.  15 coins, starting with the Frankish king Charlemagne, 768-814 AD. 

The Carolingian Empire spanned much of France, Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy in the eighth to tenth centuries.
Here we have Louis I le Pieux (the Pious) 814-840 AD (one of my favorite coins of the group); Charles I the Bald, King of West Francia 840-877 and Emperor 875-877 AD; Pippin II, King of Aquitaine. 839-852 AD; Odo (known as Eudes) King of West Francia. 887-898 AD; Robert I as Marquis of Neustria. 888-922 AD (his decendents became known as the "Robertines"); Raoul, King of West Francia. 923-936 AD; Conrad the Pacific, King of Burgundy, 937-993 AD; Lothaire II, King of West Francia. 954-986 AD. 

There are many monogram coins and many imitative series in Carolingian coinage. The "immobilizied type" coinage simply means that the minting carried on from one king to another with few visible changes to the coins. An example of that is a denier of Charles le Simple - Louis IV, 898-954 AD, an immobilized type of Charles le Chauve or Charles le Simple. 

The coin of Pippin (or Pépin) II is a lovely obol, my one and only of that denomination.

Here's a great article about a hoard of Carolingian coins discovered in Poland. There is some possibility that the hoard is part of a ransom paid in 845 AD by Charles the Bald (son of Louis the Pius and grandson of Charlemagne) to the Vikings to prevent the sack of Paris. Count Odo, son of Robert the Strong, defended Paris from the Viking invasion of 885-886 and was then elected king.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 07:14:50 pm »
Fantastic collection.

Virgil

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 02:58:19 am »
I always enjoy your medieval collection... +++

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 03:09:47 pm »
Here is an Anglo-Dane coin I just added to my Medieval gallery:

Cnut 1016-1035. AR Penny (1.04 gm 20mm 4h) Quatrefoil type of Colchester; struck c. 1016-1023. Crowned & draped bust left. within quatrefoil tressure. ☩.CNVT REX ⚻NGLOr'. / Voided long cross w/ triple-crescent ends in quatrefoil tressure, pellet at centre. ☩GO-DRI-CᛖO-COL (Godric, moneyer, Colchester). While Cnut pennies are quite common, this type with this moneyer, and at this location, is uncommon.

I now have one quatrefoil penny and one pointed helmet penny of King Cnut.  That just leaves the short cross type to complete the English lifetime issues.  Of the Scandinavian issues (short cross and long cross) and the posthumous issues (jewel cross, arm and sceptre, and PACX), I have none, yet...

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 11:54:19 am »
I was surprised and pleased to get an old dealer tag with my latest auction win, a medieval hammered coin of Henry VII. I'd been seeing some of these turn up when buying at auction recently.  I rarely saw that happen even 10 years ago. There's a lot more emphasis on provenance today, perhaps as a result of increased restrictions on cross-border transactions, and old dealer tags are a good way to establish pedigree

What I found surprising is that I received five dealer tags, all tucked into the 2x2 flip, in addition to the new auction tag. Sure makes for an overstuffed flip!  Reminds me of a wallet with too much stuff in it, or a passport padded with added pages.  See attached. I put the tags in approximate chronological order. I can only identify one dealer out of the bunch, distinctive for being in French and typewritten. Otherwise, they are handwritten, as were most coin tags from before, like, 2010?  Can anyone recollect seeing any tags of similar hand?  Perhaps to put a date or name to them. 

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 12:21:06 pm »
Jean Elsen? That is Brussels, Tervurenlaan, 65 at 30km from my door !

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Virtual Tray: Additions to My Medieval Coins Gallery Since My Last Post
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 08:04:50 am »
Uh oh  ::)  I've been remiss. It's been too long since I posted here.  I'm getting the dread Warning: This topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

As I did for my gallery of ancients, I'll summarize all my acquisitions over the last year here and now, using a Virtual Tray.

Here's what I collected in my Medieval France gallery.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 12:34:47 pm »
Anaximander,

Great additions and a wonderful section of your gallery.

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Carolingian Virtual Tray
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2023, 06:50:49 am »
Thanks Tracy! I've a couple more trays to show you.
Here's my Carolingian Virtual Tray for the last year.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2023, 12:48:01 pm »
I love these virtual tray presentations. I love your gallery, so varied and interesting.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2023, 02:23:28 pm »
Anaximander,

I echo Virgil H's sentiments wholeheartedly.

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity