Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Claudius Provincial Question: Legions?  (Read 397 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
A Claudius Provincial Question: Legions?
« on: December 27, 2022, 08:33:11 pm »
I recently picked up this Claudius provincial at auction. Description is: Claudius Æ 22mm of Berytus, Phoenicia. AD 41-54. TI CLAVD CAESAR, laureate head to left / Two aquilae facing one another; two signa behind, vertical V/VIII between. Sawaya 404 (D80/R175); Rouvier 509; RPC I 4547. 10.50g, 22mm.

My question is on the reverse. Given the military theme, it would seem logical that the V and VIII would refer to legions of those numbers. Looking at what references I do have, I don't see either legion as being stationed in Phoenicia. I was wondering if anyone with more knowledge of that particular period might know if detachments from these legions were in fact present there. Thanks much.
Best,
Larry

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A Claudius Provincial Question: Legions?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:19:37 pm »
Dear Larry and Board,

How have you been?  Long time no write!  As for your interesting question, I think this page might help:

https://www.livius.org/articles/place/berytus-beirut/berytus-2/

I have also been doing some legionary research as of late, concerning Apollonis Legio XV's deep connections to the legionary city of Satala in Cappadocia.  As a partial byproduct of it, I possibly now have a clearer understanding of the purpose of legionary countermarks, especially in the AL-XV context.

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Mark Fox
Michigan 

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: A Claudius Provincial Question: Legions?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:19:47 am »
Mark,
Thank you very much. That decidedly answered the question. It hurts a bit whenever I see descriptions of some of the archeology of Beirut. I have worked there several times, but the Embassy always was rather strict on side excursions. What really hurt was about 35 Years ago when I was doing some stuff in Southern Lebanon. I was within about 20 km of Baalbek, but never could bet there. Of course, there was the minor detail of Hizbullah being between me and the ruins. In any event, thanks as always for your expertise.
Best
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity