Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: database question  (Read 2278 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
database question
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:24:58 pm »
My spreadsheet list is becoming too cumbersome and am thinking of converting to a database. There are some coin collecting database templates out there but I don't think what I've see so far really apply to ancients e.g. a date range vs a specific date as found in modern coin DB templates. I think this is an easy fix

but

Of the databases I've tried the bigger issue is I haven't been able to enter Greek fonts(haven't even tried other special characters yet). In the spreadsheet I can use a font to show an omega but the databases don't support it or I just don't know how to do it. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good database for ancients that one can change to special fonts as needed?

The best I've seen so far is Coin Organizer Deluxe

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: database question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
I designed my own database using MS Access. It took a lot of work, but it's designed to MY specifications.  I've designed it to create flip tags, tray tags, and printable catalogue pages.  I can copy and paste Greek fonts and symbols (i.e. pellets for Roman Republican marks of value) into the database from MS Word. It is very flexible. It's a relational database that lets me track my purchases from each dealer, or by other variables etc.  There are other databsse program options. Whatever you use, make sure your data is exportable in a common format in case the program is not supported in the future. I went through that nightmare with Lotus, and I was able to save my collection data through export. Good luck.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
Michael,

Is your database shareable?  If so, and if you were willing to allow it, I'd love to use it.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:19:40 pm »
Hi I used this database so called "My Collection " program, one of my friend are the owner till now are freely downloadable, and very useful.
Based on SQL , and any kind of font type (greek, cyryl, etc) usable depend on your PC and software , OS or Windows or which font type are useful on this system...

http://software.mrcollector.eu/index.php?lang=en

I put it more than 5 000 item (coins) etc..
searchable and so on..
 you can used also your own photo and keywords...
 Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:19 pm »
Q., do you have a screen shot of what a display page looks like, I could not tell on the web site, looks interesting, Get me wondering how many collectors here maintain a active list. I just use excel for some other wise I use files and store according to SBVC number and weights I just store coded with weight and size but no picture.

curious

cw

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:38:01 pm »
Carausius, I took your lead and after scrapping and restarting 3 times I have something I think I can use in Access. I was surprised that it took various fonts!!! I need to study up on how to add pics but thanks to you I've gotten a start.

There was more responses than I expected since I was last here,

Quadrans, I'll check your suggestion out and give feedback probably this weekend.

Finally, I was given this site as well. Not sure what to make of it

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1686/Free-Online-Coin-Collection-Manager-from-NGC/

Haven't checked it out yet. The exciting thing is there are more options than I imagined.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 04:14:30 pm »
Michael,

Is your database shareable?  If so, and if you were willing to allow it, I'd love to use it.

I have no idea whether it's possible to share my MS Access design without sharing my collection data.  It's likely possible, but I'd have to research how!  I will look into it and report back.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
Will this work?  Save the file under a different name.  Delete all the records but one.  Replace each field with XXX or 000 so you are not giving away data or share one coin(easier). Save again.  When the new user adds his coins he can delete your one sample. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:34:18 pm »
Will this work?  Save the file under a different name.  Delete all the records but one.  Replace each field with XXX or 000 so you are not giving away data or share one coin(easier). Save again.  When the new user adds his coins he can delete your one sample. 

Good suggestion, Doug. That should work. Since the database has relationships built into the design, I'll probably need to leave one dealer (Forum, of course), and other drop-down list/realtionship variables as well. I won't have a chance to try tonight.  Maybe within a few days.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity