Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Rare Fausta Folles  (Read 779 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Two Rare Fausta Folles
« on: November 07, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »
Interestingly, just in the last weeks I got two nice Fausta folles unlisted in RIC, so I thought I'd share them here with you together.

1. Fausta, bronze follis
Arelate mint
Obv. FLAV MAX - FAUSTA AUG
Draped bust with hair in a bun
Rev. SALUS REI - PUBLICAE, Q :crescent: AR in exergue
Empress as Salus standing facing, head facing too, with two infants in her arms
19 mm, 3.09 g, die axis 6 o'clock

The facing head of the reverse figure is typical and exclusive for the mint of Arelate, although wrongly described in RIC as "head left" like at all other mints. The mint mark Q :crescent: AR is unlisted; there is a P*AR series (RIC 252ff.), then PA :crescent: RL, but not this mixture of both. While the A is weak, the reading is quite clear in hand.

2. Fausta, bronze follis
Antioch mint
Obv. FLAV MAX - FAUSTA AUG
Draped bust with hair in a bun
Rev. SPES REI P - UBLICAE,  :dot: SMANTH in exergue
Empress as Spes standing facing, head left, with two infants in her arms
19 mm, 2.77 g, die axis 6 o'clock

This coin would be rare with just SMANTH in exergue; it would be RIC 69, rated r5. This coin, however, clearly has a dot before the mintmark; the next series, RIC 71-77, has a dot in the field, but the :dot: SMANTA mintmark is only attested for Helena (RIC 82) and attributed by RIC to the next series (RIC 78-82), along with the campgate issues with diademed busts, dated by RIC after Fausta's death. So this might just be Fausta's very last coin at Antioch, before the news of her fall reached the town.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Two Rare Fausta Folles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:41:56 am »
Nice coins and I myself have a collection of Fausta from different mints.
Forgive me saying so, but the Arelate reverse may be tooled in the upper section.
The mints that are difficult to acquire from what I've seen are London, Constantinople ( put to death at the time of its opening).
I do really like the Antioch specie, very nice style with attractive patina.
BTW, the ugly portraits seem to be from Lyons and London, while her beauty stands out from the Rome and Antioch mints.
Hope you are able to continue adding to these, good luck.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »
Just looked through my Faustae, and I even DO have one from Constantinople, RIC 12. 18 mm, 3.09 g, 12 o'clock.
Only VG to F, but then it also cost me less than 10€, so what the heck... ;-)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 02:11:30 pm »
I have also some nice Fausta in my Galery , but till now all are listed in RIC..
some of them are rare..

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5260

regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »
Q, what a really nice Fausta collection you assembled. You even have the rare star issue of Thessalonica.
Still trying to obtain the Rome issue, yours has the best portrait style! Every time I see one it is sold very quickly

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:17:35 pm »
Q, what a really nice Fausta collection you assembled. You even have the rare star issue of Thessalonica.
Still trying to obtain the Rome issue, yours has the best portrait style! Every time I see one it is sold very quickly

Thank you Vincent :) +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity