Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Which coin do you think should be featured on the cover of Potamikon?

A: Tauromenion
11 (29.7%)
B: Sileraioi
15 (40.5%)
C: Herbessos
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: October 28, 2015, 12:35:25 pm

Author Topic: Important Book Cover Poll!  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Important Book Cover Poll!
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:25 pm »
Dear Forvm Members,

Because the members here and on LaMoneta have been so helpful with our project, Nico and I have decided to hold a vote to see which coin is used on the cover of our book.  We also can't agree so we really need your help!

So, which do you prefer? 

A=Tauromenion, ae hemilitron, 339/8-336 BC

B=Sileraioi, ae tetras, 357-336 BC

C=Herbessos, ae litra, 339-335 BC

The vote will remain open for two weeks, and the tallies will be combined with LaMoneta members (please only vote once if you are a member of both boards).

Thanks for participating, and comments and discussion are welcome!

Nick

Offline Brennos

• Consul
Re: Important Book Cover Poll!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »
Excellent idea  +++

I have voted Herbessos without hesitation, it's a very nice coin and I like to have fine books on my shelves  ;)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:52:31 pm »
Well, it just so happens you are mentioned in the preface!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
I voted Sileraioi but now I'm thinking Herbessos because Nico has been in my ear all day.  But as I told him, I own them all, so I have no really strong opinions :)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:22:36 pm »
Nick,
I voted Sileraioi because it is a classic MFB style and pose and a nice closeup representation of the MFB characteristics.  More importantly, it is much more blatantly a man-faced bull. The Herbessos is a lovely coin with beautiful style; but just the neck is not enough bull.  Like the classic Saturday Night Live "more cow bell" sketch, I need more bull.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on October 14, 2015, 06:22:36 pm
Nick,
I voted Sileraioi because it is a classic MFB style and pose and a nice closeup representation of the MFB characteristics.  More importantly, it is much more blatantly a man-faced bull. The Herbessos is a lovely coin with beautiful style; but just the neck is not enough bull.  Like the classic Saturday Night Live "more cow bell" skech, I need more bull.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.  The coins of Akarnania have never appealed to me as much as those from Italy and Sicily for precisely that reason!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 07:01:39 pm »
Hi Nick,

I haven't voted yet because I'm undecided between #1 and #2.

I discounted Herbessos for several reasons. First, it looks too much like a medallion rather than a coin. Second, to someone who is not familiar with MFB coins, it may not even be recognizable as a MFB coin. The MFB has no legs. An unsuspecting person may think it is just a human head, albeit one that is a little "groovy/psychedelic-looking". Or a reader may just think it is a photo of you (the author) when you first wake up in the morning. :) ::) ;D

I am torn between #1 and #2. I know that you always preferred the forepart of a MFB rather than the full bull. But I always preferred the full bull to just the forepart of a MFB. Between silver and bronze, I have about 50-100 Campania MFB coins. But only one has a forepart of a MFB. All the rest have a full bull. However, that particular example of a Sileraioi coin is excellent. It really captures all of the essence and spirit of a MFB.

Is it possible to use both (either both on the front cover, or one on the front cover and one on the back cover)? In my mind, you will be covering all of the bases. On the book cover, you will have one example of a forepart of a MFB and one example of a full bull. It will let people be aware of the 2 major varieties of the MFB coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:25 pm »
I'd prefer to use just one.  But the book is loaded with illustrations so the reader will have plenty of MFBs to look at.

The Tauromenion coin is nice, and was my initial choice for two reasons.  First, the grape cluster, which alludes to the contentious debate had by earlier scholars as to whether the MFB is Dionysos or Acheloios.  Second, because the obverse of that coin, which depicts Apollo Archagetas, is used as significant evidence in our theory of locative epithets (the obverse only says Archagetas, just as the Agyrion coins, for example, only say Palagkaios).  There are other reasons, too, but those are the most significant I think.

The Sileraioi coin is equally attractive, especially since it was minted by Campanian mercenaries.  I also like the forepart which shows the MFB kneeling in submission to being sacrificed (not charging, as people usually describe it).

The choice is certainly difficult!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:52 pm »
I'm torn between "B" and "C". Ultimately I went with "C", but it was a coin toss (pun intended!).

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:45:18 pm »
I went with C too . It is more to a book cover.
Wish you all the success .
Who write books , seek compliments , while
who write books about ancients , lucky if they pass  notes and blames. :)
Sam Mansourati

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:49:24 pm »
I think any of these 3 would make a great cover photo. I went with B because I really liked the look of it.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 03:45:11 am »
i voted for C immediately, and it wasn't even close.

the first two look like bulls with man-like features, but the third coin looks like a god with bullish features. and isn't that what we're really talking about here, the depiction of a god?
in fact if i had 3 votes i'd use all 3 on Herbessos. Hail!

~ Peter

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 05:07:29 am »
i voted for C immediately, and it wasn't even close.

the first two look like bulls with man-like features, but the third coin looks like a god with bullish features. and isn't that what we're really talking about here, the depiction of a god?
in fact if i had 3 votes i'd use all 3 on Herbessos. Hail!

~ Peter

??? C has no legs!

B has surface issues.

A is whole and complete with perfect surfaces and toning.

Of course this is always going to be subjective, and I expect the authors will take note of our opinions and then make their own minds up.

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 06:04:36 am »
Who write books , seek compliments , while
who write books about ancients , lucky if they pass  notes and blames. :)

ahah, so true

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 07:43:38 am »
All three options are worthy contenders, the one that stands out the most for me is your M.F.B from Sileraioi.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:55 am »
All three options are worthy contenders, the one that stands out the most for me is your M.F.B from Sileraioi.

+1   +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:02 am »
C=Herbessos, ae litra, 339-335 BC

By far the best to me - a masterpiece of die engraving.  The others are not masterpieces, just nice coins. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 11:02:13 am »
I agree with Joe.  I voted C because the face on it is true art.  The others might be have better surfaces or be more reflective of the genre but for a cover I would like the most aesthetically pleasing.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
Hi folks,

I thought about it and voted for #1 (Tauromenium).

I was torn between #1 and #2. But I give a slight edge to #1.

In the Tauromenium example, the bull looks more "intellectual" and "cerebral".

Being someone who collects Campania coins (many of which are MFB coins), I am shocked by the number of people who voted for #3 (Herbessos). To me, it doesn't even look like a MFB. Unless I am not seeing something that others are seeing? I'm just not feeling that "MFB vibe" from it. Yes, in some ways, it is a masterpiece. But, to an unsuspecting person (someone who is not familiar with MFB coins), does it look like a MFB coin? I'm trying to put my mind back into the time just before I started collecting ancient coins. If, at that point in my life, I saw a photo of coin #3, would I immediately recognize it as a MFB coin? Probably not. And that's the problem I have with it. As an author, you must assume that a certain percentage of your readers are not going to be experienced in that particular area (that you are writing about).

Meepzorp

Offline crispina

• Praetorian
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 04:29:54 pm »
I haven't been able to decide yet either...

The coin from Herbessos is, from an artistic standpoint, the most beautiful.  But I think that the coins from Tauromenion and the Sileraioi really do a wonderful job expressing important themes that will be explored in detail in the body of the book, so perhaps they do a better job of tying everything together...

But the most important thing for me to say, Nick and Nico, is CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is getting so close to publication!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  In bocca al lupo!!!

Taras

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 07:48:37 am »
Quote from: crispina on October 17, 2015, 04:29:54 pm
I haven't been able to decide yet either...

The coin from Herbessos is, from an artistic standpoint, the most beautiful.  But I think that the coins from Tauromenion and the Sileraioi really do a wonderful job expressing important themes that will be explored in detail in the body of the book, so perhaps they do a better job of tying everything together...

But the most important thing for me to say, Nick and Nico, is CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is getting so close to publication!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  In bocca al lupo!!!

Thank you so much for the enthusiasm! Indeed the realization of this book owes much to your valuable help my friend ;)

...and thank you all forvm users for participation to this poll!! :)

best
Nico

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »
Any news ?
Sam Mansourati

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »
Thanks for asking!

We are just finishing up now and the typescript should be off to the publisher in the next couple months.  They will make some small formatting adjustments and then I'll do the index and then that's it- we await the printer.  So, hopefully we'll see it in print before summer!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »
Thanks for asking!

We are just finishing up now and the typescript should be off to the publisher in the next couple months.  They will make some small formatting adjustments and then I'll do the index and then that's it- we await the printer.  So, hopefully we'll see it in print before summer!

+++
Sam Mansourati

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »
The main reason for delay was the new baby.  One's brain doesn't work well with little sleep so I want to be sure I don't have any obvious typos.  I hope the readers will excuse the delay!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity