Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Salus Augusti cast or struck  (Read 418 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Salus Augusti cast or struck
« on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »
A salus augusti coin was first identified as fake by Curtis Clay and I later found an identical coin albeit in better condition

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93575.0

The matching dies and flan show them to be cast fakes

But here's a new coin whose flan doesn't match. 

The obverse appears to be a die match to a specimen in the fake coin gallery which I show for comparison

Struck. Die-engraver "Lipanoff Studio"
 Published: Sofia 2004, no.100
 I. Prokopov

So a forger used a fake struck coin to make a casting mold?!  Seems a bit convoluted

Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Salus Augusti cast or struck
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:41:02 am »
Cast fake coin makers often use struck fake coins to make their molds.  I cannot explain why, but it is true.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity