Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What exactly is a Jetton?  (Read 12565 times)

Ghengis_Jon

What exactly is a Jetton?
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:27:41 am »
I've pulled a couple of tokens (?) that have been identified by others as 'jettons'.  What are these 'coins' and what were they used for?

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re:What exactly is a Jetton?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 11:17:15 am »
Tokens and jetons were issued in most European nations between the 17th and 19th centuries, some earlier. In England they were intended as a sort of token coinage (hence the term token. ::)) due to chronic coin shortages. I cant say whether jetons struck in other European nations had a monetary value as well, though there are 5 sol token-medals minted during the French Revolution. They can also be called medalets, which is stupid because they arent small medals being of different fabric.
                                        LordBest. 8)

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 01:24:30 pm »
So they're sort of a stop-gap coinage.  Or private coinage?  I thought that sort of thing got you hanged.  Interesting.  Anyway, they're too 'new' for me.   :)

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
The earliest jetons were used as counters.  Merchants used boards for accounting and the jetons were placed on the board to keep track of finances.  Later, they were used for political statement, advertising, and gaming chips.  There was another discussion of these under Mayadiggers thread about his uncleaned coins.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 02:23:20 pm »
In England they were coinage, counters, advertising, propaganda, the works all rolled in to one practically.  :)
                                       LordBest. 8)

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 03:36:04 pm »
There is a great article on jetons at the Chicago Coin Club website at:  http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/projects/PiN/juh.html

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
  • I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
Gold Jetons
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 12:45:44 am »
 A while ago I bought 100 uncleaned coins from a region different than I am used to. I put them aside, and promptly lost them. I just rediscovered them, and have a few that I am clueless about. This is one of them. I know you don't get gold in uncleaneds, but this sure as heck looks like gold. I just don't know what it is!  

Help please?
HAM & EGGS-a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.  
The only difference between a rut & a grave is the depth

Offline Bobicus

• Praetorian
  • He drank too deep from the draught of philosophy.
Re:Unknown Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 03:23:43 am »
That my friend is a Jeton.  I can't spell worth a darn, but if you do a keyword search for Jeton here, you will get all the details and possibly even another picture of a very similar Jeton.

I've got six of these rascals, probably from the same batch.  I've been trying to find the value on them and my best guess so far is around $30.00 each.

At one time Curtis had provided translations of the German in the legends, but I can't find the thread now.  If someone can find the thread with the legend please post a link here.  I fear that thread may have been in the sales thread and discarded during a routine cleanup of old threads.

Bob
They create a desert and call it prosperity.

MIKEYB70

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 10:19:36 pm »
WOW Absolutley fascinating.  Thanks for starting a thread on this.  Just when I am getting my Uncleaned Roman Coin obsession under control, I see a whole new area to work on!  

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 10:43:25 pm »
Mike, in some regards, the study of jetons is one of the last frontiers of numismatics.  For instance, we recognize that the above specimen was produced by Hans Schultes.  There was 3 generations of these gentlemen and I still cannot distinguish between them!  It is a diverse and interesting coinage and worthy of some attention.

mortsmolb

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 07:11:04 am »
At one time Curtis had provided translations of the German in the legends, but I can't find the thread now.  If someone can find the thread with the legend please post a link here.  
Bob

As an American living in Germany, I could read the legend. Its old Germany and reads, "Gluck kommt von Gott allein", "Happiness comes from God alone." And the the name of the City Nurenberg is on the coin. Hope I could help.
Mortsmolb

All coins are guaranteed for eternity