Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Judaean Collection Gallery  (Read 34824 times)

blank

Re: New Collection Gallery
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2023, 04:37:18 pm »
Congratulation, wonderful coins

Best regards

frederic

Lovely collection

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: My Judaean Collection Gallery
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2023, 05:30:33 pm »
My most recent addition, an AE20 of Herod IV Philip, minted at Panias (Caesarea Philippi) in 8/9 AD.  Note the star countermark on the bust.  This designates it as Hendin's sub-variety "b".

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2023, 06:48:07 pm »
Lovely

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2023, 03:49:40 pm »
My latest addition....

I was thrilled to acquire this one at what I felt was an absolute bargain price, especially given the almost full obverse legends, especially his name!

I'll get an image uploaded to my gallery shortly.

Aristobulus of Chalcis -  AE Oktachalkon (54-71/2 AD, struck under Titus)
Hendin-566a / 1258s / 6287a
9.57 grams, 25mm 
Struck RY 17 (70/1 AD), Chalcis (?) mint
Obv.: [BA]CIΛEΩC APICTOBOYΛOY E]T IZ, diademed and draped bust of Aristobulus facing left; countermark, monogram within incuse square, on neck
Rev.: [TITΩ] / O[YECΠA]/C[IANΩ AY]/TO[KPA]TO/P[I CEBAC/TΩ], within laurel wreath
Kovacs 301. RPC II 1692. For countermark, Kovacs p. 79, 24. 

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2023, 05:53:04 pm »
I was tempted by this one myself.  Congrats!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2023, 07:00:19 pm »
You have more self control than I apparently do. 

It was late at night and I was just finishing up my nightly perusal of several coin related websites when I saw this one.  I did some quick internet searches for similar examples, and then hit "BUY".

Craig

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2023, 02:07:32 am »
That is a nice one. With a nice example of the countermark, too! RPC has quite a few specimens with this countermark, Howgego 722.

Howgego described it as "TI.K.Δ.?" which he took to mean "Ti(berius) C(aesar), year 4."

I don't know how he saw a "Δ" in there, though! (Instead of an "E.")

RPC has reinterpreted it as "monogram with letters Π, Υ, Ε and Μ," though I wonder if that is a bit speculative, too, since different characters seem possible. (Unless they have a particular name or word in mind for the monogram's significance.) https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/2/1692
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2023, 11:32:05 am »
It's funny how things seem to come in bunches.  After finding the nice Aristobulus I posted a bit above, last week I was in Baltimore for the Whitman Coin Expo, and lo and behold I walk up to a dealer with whom I often do a lot of business at that show, and he has a total of four Aristobulus pieces, including two with Salome's image on the reverse.  One was very nice, with almost full legends, but priced accordingly.  The second was more in line with my budget, albeit with less detail.  So basically in the course of six weeks, I was able to add two coins that I really never thought I'd be able to have.  Sometimes, life just works out that way.

My (lack of) photography skills really don't do the coin justice.  From a slightly different lighting angle, there is actually a decent amount of legends visible on both sides, including several letters of her name.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2023, 11:59:10 pm »
Tough coin to get in any condition.  Congrats

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2023, 02:37:25 pm »
Nice coin, and your photography is fine IMO. Congrats on those two finds.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity