Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus & Postumus  (Read 1408 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Gallienus & Postumus
« on: September 10, 2005, 04:43:54 am »
Hi,

I hope the person who PM'ed me this question doesn't mind but I think it was very interesting and I'd like to share my thoughts on the public boards.

The question (paraphrased) was around Gallienus' attitude to Postumus and why he left him and went to deal with other problems/invasions/usurpers when Postumus looked the bigger threat.

My response went as follows:

Gallienus, before the revolt of Postumus was being attacked on many sides from outside the empire, Persians in the east, barbarians from free Germany/Balkans etc.

I suspect that, although he didn't like it and, according to the Historia Augusta, there was the challenge to fight Postumus man to man in mortal combat, it was the least of his worries. At least the west had an organised, pro-Roman army.

We must also look at Postumus. He didn't advance on Italy, there was nop immediate threat to Rome and the stability of the empire from him. Postumus didn't even come to the aid of Aureolus who openly supported him towards the end of his reign.

This reluctance of Postumus to move on Rome (unlike most previous usurpers) has been interpreted in two ways.

First of all he can be viewed as a Gallic hero in a nationalist movement, freeing the Gallic provinces from Rome and being content with that (Drinkwater's view, simplified);

Secondly, Postumus was dealing with the threat from barbarian raiders in the west so unable to dedicate troops to moving on Rome. We certainly know he had a victory over the Juthungi (the Augsburg inscription) and produced a VICTORIA GERMAN coin type.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Gallienus & Postumus
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:07:57 am »
It is interesting that Gallienus resp. Aureoulus immediately crushed the usurpation of Ingenuus and Regalianus. Postumus however was granted enough time to secure his revolt since Gallienus was first handling Ingenuus and Regalianus and afterwards, he faced the usurpation of Macrianus and Quietus in the east that seemed to be a far greater danger to the central empire than Postumus. Also, one may suggest that Gallienus was completely surprised by Postumus' revolt since it seems that he had held some kind of military key role in Gaul granted him by Gallienus himself before, he thus may have been a confidant of the emperor. On the other hand, it seems that the quick response on the revolt of Ingenuus suggests that Gallienus, after getting the news about the disastrous end of Valerianus' expedition against the Persians, anticipated Ingenuus' revolt by moving forehanded towards Pannonia and Moesia.

The reasons for Postumus not to cross the Alps and go the whole hog soon after his usurpation seem to be quite obvious to me: even after bringing the siege of Saloninus and Silvanus to an end, he first had to secure his base at Gaul and the two Germanias; though the HA suggests so, it doesn't seem as if the whole west immediately hailed Postumus as new emperor. And when he finally secured the west (expedition to Britain in 261 AD??), he still had to deal the "babarian" threat at the Rhine frontier. If one assumes that Gallienus took a considerable part of the western army with him when he left Gaul in 259 AD, it is easily understood that Postumus simply did not have enough troops to deal with the barbarians AND invade Italy.

That Postumus, after having secured his empire and surviving Gallienus' attack in 265 AD (?), still stayed in Gaul can lead to different conclusions. One may assume that he just felt satisfied with his rule, that he thought an invasian into Italy would open Gaul to babarian invasions, that his forces still did not suffice to start a counter offensive against Gallienus, that he saw his rule not as a deadly enemy of Rome but as a backup in the west, etc. I don't believe, however, that Postumus' rule did result out of any "gallic national feeling". It seems clear to me that Postumus saw himself as a Roman, beneath several other reasons it seems not to make any sense that a "gallic nationalist" would strike coins hailing the eternity of Rome and would adopt full roman titles including such as TR P and P M clearly related to the city of Rome etc.

I think the secession of the "Gallic" and the "Palmyrenian" empires are part of many symptoms leading to further decentralisation of the whole empire. The times when one single emperor could handle all problems and threats of the empire clearly belonged to the past. I guess Gallienus learned this lesson, and I must confess, I look at his reign much more positive than many scholars did in the past. I think it is admirable, how Gallienus survived himself and secured important parts of the empire during those troubled years after the capture of his father. This is far from being a matter of course...

Whoops, sorry for this long posting...

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Trimalchio

• Consul
  • I love this forum, yes I really do!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 06:21:45 am »
Hi,

Gallienus had a victory over Postumus, winning back raetia in 263/265 (or even earlier), but both forces were stretched to their limits. Of course you shouldn't forget Odaenathus, the palmyrene "dux romanorum", who was in a similar position as Postumus in the east (only he didn't take the augustus title). Gallienus probably didn't have the forces to fight them, and as both didn't make much effort to be emperor over the whole roman empire, he could handle other problems, until he was strong enough to reclaim the provinces of Postumus and Odaenathus. In 265 there was even a peace treaty between Gallienus and Postumus.

regards - Boris

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 06:29:21 am »
Gallienus had a victory over Postumus, winning back raetia in 263/265 (or even earlier), but both forces were stretched to their limits.

Well, that isn't really certain! I guess it is the HA that reports how Gallienus twice failed to overcome Postumus, the first time because the later usurper Aureolus hindered an successful pursuit of the already beaten Postumus and the second time because Gallienus was wounded by an arrow when sieging the "gallic" emperor and therefore had to retreat. The HA however isn't always to be trusted since it is very biased. Also, the question about the frontiers between the central and the gallic empire is very difficult to answer. Much has been written about it and I think it is König who suggests Raetia being won by Gallienus, but this isn't assured as well and it should not be taken as proven historical truth. We simply don't know much about this time and should be careful not to take suggestions based on insecure evidences as being proven.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 12:14:08 pm »
Gallienus was appointed Augustus at the beginning of his father's reign, suggesting that they knew very well that one man couldn't control the empire; Gallienus' having put Saloninus and Postumus in what looks like joint command in Gaul points the same way; Saloninus may not have had  the experience to command the army; I'm not sure how old he was, but his falling out with Postumus could suggest inexperience. It could be that both men realised that the other was too strong to be easily defeated, and that if they did win, they'd then have an insurmountable problem in hanging onto the resultant empire.

I find Drinkwater's theory of Postumus as a Gallic liberator is far-fetched and probably anachronistic; the Gallic nobility must have been extremely Romanised by that time, and probably saw themselves as Roman. There's a complete absence of Gallic propaganda on his coinage, and to me that clinches it. Everything, as Pscipio said, is 100% Roman.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity