Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Confused on Sept. Sev. coin. Help pls.  (Read 1717 times)

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Confused on Sept. Sev. coin. Help pls.
« on: July 01, 2005, 12:44:57 am »
I have a SEVERVS-PIVSAVG with a VICT PART MAX reverse. It was easy to attribute in terms of type but all the examples I found were nice silver denarii. Mine has a dark green patina and appears to be bronze underneath. Certainly does not appear to be silver.  It also appears to be quite authentic. Is this a Limes denarius? :)
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re: Confused on Sept. Sev. coin. Help pls.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 12:46:26 am »
Yep, a very nice limes denarius.

Evan

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 02:52:33 pm »
Thanks Evan - This one goes in MY book! ;D What's the story on these coins - was the empire running out of silver or what? Curious..... ???
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

searcher

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 04:02:07 pm »
What is a limes Denarius please????

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 04:22:31 pm »
The 'limes' were the borderlands of the Roman Empire, commonly referring especially to the north.  These coins are thought to be emergency issues where a supply of silver was not readily accessible, for military and local use, pro tem.
I am writing this because, in case I have it wrong, someone will correct me.  All I really know is the word 'limes' and the fact that they are regular Imperial types struck in the wrong metal.  On that assumption, they are neither counterfeit nor barbarous.  Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 05:31:16 pm »
Hi!

This I want to add:

These coins are called Limesdenarii or Limesfalsa (Sing. Limesfalsum). This second term was created by G.Elmer 1933, important research can be found in  (1) George C. Boon, Coins and the Archaeologist, Seaby, 1988.

Historically it was probably the coinage of the Roman frontier troops along the Limes, at the Northern border of the Empire, which have big trade with the local tribes. Formerly they were looked at as couriosities, most of them found in England. Nowadays they are relative frequent from the states in Eastern Europe. The specimens found until now seem to be cast and not struck. There is no silver in the alloy, a possible fine silver layer is gone. The coins are from the time of Trajan until the reign of Maximinus. Most of them are from the Severan emperors.

Wether they are counterfeits or official issues for the frontier soldiers is not yet cleared. We have not enough knowledge. The time difference to the official issues is sometimes more than 10 years. So f.e. coins of Septimius Severus were found with the reverse of Alexander Severus. This would be a sign for an unofficial product.

from http://www.muenzen-der-severer.de/limes.htm Here you can see some more specimens.

Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity