Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Curiosity of the day  (Read 2476 times)

oerlikon20mm

Curiosity of the day
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:50:18 am »
Just picked this up.  This is the first I've ever seen of a holed coin with the original "suspension loop" still attached.  Anyone else ever seen one of these?

Gunner

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
Re: Curiosity of the day
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:21:04 am »
Very interesting
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:29:14 am »
I don't recognize the coin, is that a quadrans?
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

oerlikon20mm

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:05:16 am »
Yes...anonymous Quadrans.  Not sure of exact attribution.  Can anyone help?

Gunner

bruce61813

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 01:35:09 pm »
Intersting, but very different coins. Gunner's coin appears to have some lettering on the obverse, and on the reverse, the "trophy" armor is enlarged over the example from Wolfgang.   That
brings up the question about different coins or variants.

Bruce

oerlikon20mm

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:56:22 pm »
Bruce,
     I'll clean the coin when it arrives.  It looks to have a great deal of potential and the encrustation looks like the ez kind.  I think the lettering that you are seeing on the obverse is actually crust.   Will post pics when cleaned.

Wolf,
     Thanks for the help.  I figured this coin was probably rare too.  I mainly got it due to the loop still attached....bonus I guess :).

Gunner

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 02:09:49 pm »
     Judging from a limited sample of images in our photofile and the Mazzini collection, Evan has illustrated the standard version of this anonymous quadrans.
     Mars, on obv., has bust cuirassed seen from front.  Rev. shows a cuirass only.  On one of three specimens in Mazzini, a cloak is also shown falling from the shoulders of the cuirass.
     Gunner's piece seems to be a new variety.  Bust type of Mars is different, perhaps head only with bare neck.  On rev. there is a spear behind the cuirass.   
      A Dutch student wrote a dissertation on the anonymous quadrantes about 25 years ago, but unfortunately it was not published.  So we cannot easily check whether he knew Gunner's variant!
Curtis Clay

oerlikon20mm

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 11:34:35 am »
New picture of this coin.

Gunner

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 05:50:39 pm »
Hi Gunner

Don't clean the coin.... don't remove the ring..... it would lose the taste of the quadrants of the period of Hadrianus.

ser

oerlikon20mm

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 02:32:08 pm »
Hi Rugser,
     I will not clean the coin and will not remove the loop.  It is actually quite nice in-hand.  It sits untouched in my collection :).

Gunner

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 06:12:16 pm »
Incredible type, I've been following the quadrantes for quite a few years and this variant with the spear is amazing :o

With respect to the loop and more generally, holes in coins, I had no idea of the intent, especially for coins holed in illogical places (that is, not above portrait, which would make it a pendant). 2 years ago, I visited a temporary archeological exhibition (in the French city of Saintes, famous ancient gallic town) on burial practices in Gaul, where I saw a loop where several hold 1st Cent. mid bronzes (Claudius, ...)  were hanging; this item was part of a tomb, and a probable gift to Charon (to cross the Styx).

So a holed coin would not always mean pendant or piece of furniture or clothing, but can also be a part of a burial artifact.

Jérôme 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity