Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bridge over troubled water  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Bridge over troubled water
« on: January 04, 2005, 11:24:57 am »
Now I got the coin!
Struck under Constantine I,
AE - reduced follis, Constantinopolis 4th officina AD 330
obv. POP ROMANVS
        draped, laureate head of a young Roman l., cornucopiae behind
rev.  (no legend)
        Bridge with two towers over river
        CONS/Epsilon above
RIC VIII, Constaninopolis 21; C.1; LRBC.1066
Belongs to the special issue for the dedication of Constantinopolis AD 330 under Constantine I.

My question: Is the bridge on the rev. a special known building, perhaps in the Balkans or over the Danube, or only a symbol for the connection of Constantinopolis and Rome?

Any information appreciated!

Regards

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re:Bridge over troubled water
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 11:33:29 am »
Probably the Milvian Bridge, where Mad Max met his end. See
http://www.beastcoins.com/Architecture/Bridges/Bridges.htm
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:47:34 pm »
Not a topic I've investigated, but I would guess that the meaning of this bridge type is unknown.
Kent, in RIC VIII, p. 442, has no suggestion.  All he says is that the bridge type might symbolize Rome, and the corresponding Star in wreath type might symbolize Constantinople, an idea which, without further expalnation, I for one find mysterious and unilluminating.
The Milvian Bridge symbolizing the defeat of Maxentius in 312 cannot be right, in my opinion.  By the time Constantinople was dedicated in 330, that was almost ancient history, even if it had led to Constantine's conversion to Christianity.  Plus victories were not commemorated on ancient coins simply by showing the locality or landmark where they had taken place; defeated enemies, trophies, victorious emperors and the like were required.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 02:30:25 pm »
It's a real pity! How often it happened that you have a nice historical story and then the merciless reality has nothing else to do than to destroy it! Thanks Curtis for bringing us down to the facts!

Regards

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:13:32 pm »
I also saw and considered the coin (congrats, Jochen, it's a beautiful example!) as part of my Constantinian grouping, but was stopped by this entry in RIC VII, p. 568:

The author has not considered it necessary to refute the confusing arrangement of Maurice, who includes PAX PVBLICA, PIETAS ROMANA, and the POP ROMANVS coins in the Constantine series (note 5:  ii, pp.535 ff., 547).  Let it suffice in this context to refer to the clear and convincing arrangement of Kent and Hill (note 6:  Cf. LRBC, p.25).

I don't yet have LRBC (it's enroute), but what I understood from the above is that POP ROMANVS was not even minted by Constantine.

Anyone with LRBC able to post what page 25 says on this?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 03:23:48 pm »
LRBC p.25 dates the POP ROMANVS (and the Star in wreath) issue to the Period IV, AD 341-346, after the death of Constantine I AD 337 (in difference to RIC!).
And LRBC p.23: The most common issues at this time (the final period IV!) are the commemorative types of Pop. Romanus, which are by no means as scarce as is often thought.

Regards

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 04:02:09 pm »
Jochen compliments ... it is a beautiful coin.

Time does when I found the first Pop Romanus I wanted me also seek the meaning of the bridge on this commemorative.

In a book of an Italian numismatic (I don't remember the name) I have read that it with this  coin Constantinus wanted to commemorate the pacification between Gothics and Sarmaths that they had been fought from the opposite banks of the Danubio.

ser  ;)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Bridge over troubled water
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 06:29:52 pm »
Hi Jochen 
Compliments, your sample is a beautiful piece. 
As I already said in other post, the coin was coined on the occasion of the construction of a bridge on the Danubius after Costantinus had reconciled the Goths and the Sarmatis that were faced for long time by the opposite shores. This way I have read in one old book of mine. 
It will perhaps seem you strange but this coin coined to Constantinople has almost all been put in circulation in the city of Rome..... it is test the fact that those known have almost all been found in the interland in Rome
I have found around 20 of it with the bridge and as many with the star..... they almost all cover the officinae 
One day, when I will have rearranged and photographed well my harvest, I will return to post her. 
These coins have been realized with a hard league.... we can say the classical one "mixture." 
I put four of mine that, as it is usual, I have not cleaned.

Regards

ser

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 06:36:17 pm »
Hoter
ser

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 07:54:54 pm »
Rugser,   
      Do you find many other Constantinian bronzes too with the Constantinople mintmark, or just this issue with the Bridge and Star?
       In general, I wouldn't expect coins minted in Constantinople to be found in the environs of Rome!
Yours,
Curtis Clay
Curtis Clay

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 08:19:24 pm »
I found it curious that the bidding stopped at  305 EUR for this coin and did not attend the reservation price.
Why it is an information which must be deleted?   I post again the photo...

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 09:46:00 pm »
Hi Curtis 
I don't have precise statistic. 
On around 1500 Constantinians coins (from Constantinus I to Iulianus II) I have found with mintmark Constantinopolis: c.5-6 Commemortive (AE4 veiled Constantine I), c. 7-8 gloria exercitus and fel temp, c. 3-4 other type and c. 50 pop romanus (bridge and star).

Best regards

ser

All coins are guaranteed for eternity