Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallery FAQs  (Read 56817 times)

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
Re: Gallery FAQs
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:31 am »
Everyone has different layouts and I do as well. You only have one folder there in that image that David Atherton posted. Here is how mine looks with a bunch of folders, with the latest additions at the bottom like yours. I find that the latest addition section to be useful so I can remember the last coins I posted.

My gallery that is that image I posted. Just trying to show you an example of a later developed gallery with many folders. Yours only has one folder. You have to make more eventually.

Gallery Link

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2018, 12:06:32 pm »
Any way of deleting a single comment left by  on a coin in your gallery?

Someone left a comment that a coin was fake and I wanted to delete it.  

Gallery Link

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
Done.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2018, 12:03:43 am »
Thanks!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:09 am »
I want to connect several entries im my gallery with direct links, e.g. if I have denarii of Faustina with different hairstyles I want to add a link to the other style.

The problem is that if I copy a link in the gallery text it is not recognized as a link. You cannot click it, you have to copy and paste it manually.

Is there a trick to work around this problem ???

EDIT: I found a trick to make it work:

Now I can add a link in the gallery text which can be opened by clicking as usual.

For an example open this gallery entry:

Gallery Link

All I had to do was to embed the link in a simple html "a" tag (see screenshot below). Everything in brackets is not visible:

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2018, 06:10:39 pm »
Hmm, Interesting, I will try it soon, if it does not cause any conflict  ... +++ ;)

Thanks to the info  :)

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
Cool!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 10:21:33 pm »
No conflict from my perspective, but please don't link to sellers unless it is important. Incoming links increase Google rank. Linking to other sites could raise them above Forum in Google rank.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »
Hello,

If I've added a coin to the BOT gallery, do I also need to add it to my gallery or has it already been added?
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2018, 08:14:39 pm »
The two galleries are completely separate. You also need to add it to your gallery.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Is the New Format a Feature or a Bug?
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2020, 08:50:14 pm »
All the information about the coins in my gallery has disappeared from the main screen, though it is available when one clicks the picture. I'm just wondering if this is permanent.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2020, 11:22:51 am »
It probably is permanent. We have to make the gallery work on mobile phones to please Google and get good search results rank and to please the increasing number of visitors that use phones.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2020, 06:30:13 pm »
It was much more fun when the captions were displayed, so that you could read a bit about the coin and then decide if you wanted to click on the picture for a closer look.  Inevitably sometimes contributors wrote descriptions that were long-winded and discursive, but often the captions were very useful, for example, if the description mentioned some minor variation in the legend or privy marks which you would have missed only looking at the thumbnail. I'm sure it's a non-trivial problem, Joe, but I really hope you find a way to restore the captions.

Bill R.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2020, 11:52:07 am »

The discussion here is mostly about changes being made to Forvm's software to accomodate mobile phones, I have a small but unrelated request.

Since the software is already being changed and rewritten, how about changing the Login page to have a cursor already in the Username filed so that I do not have to first click on the field to get a cursor there. If there is a cursor already there, I can begin typing immediately. Some websites already have that feature (Google, GMail). I know it is a small thing, but it would sure be nice.

The info in the following link is probably old by now, but perhaps it explains things better than I did above.

https://www.webmechanix.com/automatically-put-cursor-in-form-field-make-users-happy

Thanks for reading and considering this small website change.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2020, 12:00:22 pm »
I passed your post to our Webmaster to see if he can do it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2020, 03:47:07 pm »
Any chance of adding a "Like" button? 

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2020, 05:19:48 pm »
Thanks, Joe.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2020, 06:36:10 pm »
The current gallery is made with Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.  The latest CPG version is 1.6.  I hope to upgrade to 1.6 sometime in the coming months but an upgrade is a major chore because our version has been modified. I assume 1.6 will have a like button and social media features.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2022, 05:43:08 pm »
Since the change in gallery layouts by Forum last year, I note that several coins in my gallery thumbnails have only photos with no titles or text. The information was in the thumbnails when the coins were first uploaded, but failed to come over when the gallery changes were made last year.   The information is there when the thumbnail photo is clicked, but not otherwise.  This makes the gallery look very unevenly presented.  Did I do something inconsistent when uploading these particular coins to cause their titles and descriptions to be cut from the thumbnails?  Wondering how to fix without having to reload the coins. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2022, 06:15:23 pm »
Hi Carausius,

On the files without text click on Edit File Information. Then click on Apply Changes. That's it.  ;D The file should automatically be reloaded and the information should now appear.

I've done a couple for you but as I am a lazy individual I will leave you do the rest yourself.  ;D ;D ;D

Alex

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2022, 02:46:25 pm »
Thank you, Alex!  And thanks for fixing a few. I've fixed the remainder.  Much appreciated.

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2022, 03:42:29 pm »
Apologies if there has already been a topic on this but are there any tips on how to take quality photos of coins? I tend to be proud of my landscape photography work but did not expect to struggle with taking photos of coins. Is everyone here investing in expensive macro lenses?

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2022, 03:52:44 pm »

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2022, 05:06:46 pm »
The section that Jay references is great and I recommend reading all the threads there. It certainly helped me. I am a fine art photographer (not a pro, but I know photography). The hardest thing I have ever tried to photograph is coins. LOL. I do not have a macro lens, but I have a macro attachment and a good digital SLR and a proper lighting set up, tripod, etc. I have moved to using my cellphone because the SLR pics suck. Cell phone is way better, but still not up to the standard I want, but the best results I have gotten so far. You can tell in my gallery which pics I took myself versus dealer pics I use when I can. Joe's pics in the shop are always good.

Good luck and share any tricks you come up with.

Virgil

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2022, 01:55:45 am »
Thanks both for your replies. I will do a deep dive into what was already posted. And yes, it appears that finding the right setup with a phone camera will deliver good results without having to invest in an expensive macro lens. I will try that first.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity