Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siglos bankers marks-NEW CLOSE UP SCAN  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
Siglos bankers marks-NEW CLOSE UP SCAN
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:37:32 pm »
Hello all,
I have just received an Acheminiad siglos,the kneeling archer with spear type,sorry as my printer is down and all I have for now is the sellers picture,
and a crude drawing of (much to my surprise) 2 bankers marks that are very small and on the sides @ 12 and 4 o'clock.
The drawings are very small but under a glass,that what they are ,a person with big hands and the other is a circle and to the right is what
I can only describe as a "Van Halen"symbol(80's rock band). Van Halen aside, they are very clear and of course I am wondering if they can be ID in any way.
Has anybody seen these marks, is there a reference for them,may be a web page?
I would appreciate any direction offered.
Thank you
Brian

I just added a close up of the human style bankers mark,the hands, as in my drawing are there,3 fingers each( "Van Halen"symbol didn't come out).
Can these be attributed anywhere,books,web page,personal experience?
Thanks again

Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Siglos bankers marks-NEW CLOSE UP SCAN
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:07:33 am »
Steven Knapp's page has disappeared.  Did anyone keep a copy of the chart?  I would like to add it to the NumisWiki page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:57 am »
I'm not sure what the chart on Knapp's webpage actually was, but I have a Word version of the following if you'd like it:

Countermarks on Imperial Persian Sigloi
Chart of 208 varieties adapted from the format as published by George F. Hill in the British Museum Catalog, volume on Persia, p. cxxxvii.
First prepared as a chart of 187 varieties and published in the article, "Notes on the Imperial Persian Coinage," Journal of Hellenic Studies, 1919, 116ff. Reprinted in 1977 by Obol International as Imperial Persian Coinage.

I took a quick look and didn't see anything that appeared to match Brian's countermark.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »
Yes, please email it to me as an attachement JSermarini at forumancientcoins.com.  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:38 pm »
Well I'll be darned.....

I just went and tried "web.archive.org" to see if a copy of the Knapp website was available, and to my surprise it was.

The archive version is at the link below, but the individual images of the countermaks are no longer there.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090106002447/http://www.sknapp.net/coins/sigloi/chart/chart.htm

But as it turns out, the article I have (and just sent Joe) is a saved copy of the Knapp website in MS Word format.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity