Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Not sure where to put this one  (Read 1951 times)

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Not sure where to put this one
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:24:32 am »
This coin is copper and it looks like someone has laid it on the concrete or something rough and rubbed both sides.  One side is a man in a wizard looking outfit(tall hat long coat with a modis or something in front of him) .  The other side could be a man or a woman facing right with a wand or something in the right hand and a table or something in front of them.  The lettering I can read looks like greek starting around 8 oclock with AI__H__KOY______L and I am sure there is more just can't make it out.  The material is copper and weight is 7.9 g and 20mm about 1-1.5 mm thick.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Not sure where to put this one
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:34:55 am »
Kushan, minted by Kanishka, c. 130-158 AD.  Obv. King standing facing beside altare, holding trident.  Rev. Goddess Nanaia standing right.  Listed in Mitchiner as 3087 to 3092.  Most likely minted at either Taxila or Pushkalavati.

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:41:46 am »
Thanks very much Howard does the documentation say anything about what is in front of Nanaia?

Thanks again
Pete

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:24:43 pm »
This is called the tamgha.  It is a personal symbol for the ruling family.  This is the same as found in later Ottoman coins with the rulers same in a very stylized and ornate script (and unreadable), which is also called the tamgha, the personal symbol for that ruler. 

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:15:56 am »
Thanks again

Pete

Manzikert

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 07:39:39 am »
Hi Howard

The Ottoman tughra is a 'signature' not a tamgha: for details of how to recognise them see http://www.tugra.org/en/index.asp

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 04:32:40 pm »
Alan is of course right.  I got the names confused since they are spelled (as far as I am concerned, being a bad speller) similarly. 

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:05:52 am »
Thanks again both of you, If I could find that club Howard I would join also.  I have been married for 35 years and my wife still makes fun of me for my bad spelling.

Pete

All coins are guaranteed for eternity